Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi all, new to the site and looking some guidance and knowledge of web design.

I have dreamweaver and photoshop at my disposal, been learning HTML and some CSS.
    I can continue learning these languages to master them.

At the minute I have some curiousity about web design. I see sites that I like the look of and wonder how they were designed and what process was undertaken to end up the finished piece.

What I mean is Im looking for suggestions and parts that are involved in designing the layout.
    For instance, banner, buttons, menu bar, the different features that are on the home page when you load it.

Im looking for a list basically, what types of things do you go through to build a page.
    What programs are used also.

Just after some knowledge so I can eventually build each part of a page using the lists that you all suggest.

Hope im making sense.
    Thanks.

Aaron.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I start out old fashioned: a pencil and some paper. I wireframe everything on a pad of grid paper, making notes about color and functionality along the way. Then, I set that next to my computer, pull up Photoshop and go to town. I lay out the home page as I would like it to look, then slice out the elements that absolutely must be images. The rest is hand coding. For me, Dreamweaver is a waste of HDD space, but to each his own. I like Aptana. As far as coding, I generally use PHP includes to simplify the handling of areas that will be on every page, such as navigation. Can't give away too much more of my process, but that should give you a good start.

One point I'd like to make, as if I were typing it in all CAPS is: learn to code that junk yourself. If you choose to stick with Dw, know this: Design View and Live View can help, but will quickly become your worst enemies if you rely on them in the slightest. Also, be careful using code written by others. If it breaks, you will likely have no clue how or why. When in doubt, find a tutorial on how to code it yourself instead of copy/pasting it. Exceptions exist, no doubt, but it's a good rule of thumb.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the reply Ronald. Interesting reply infact.
    I have more questions which I hope you and others can answer.

I like the idea of sketching out your thoughts first of all. Which tools do you use the most in photoshop? Is it mostly rectangular tool and layers, since that is mostly the shapes of a site?

Why do you slice out the pictures only? Is PHP better for navigation instead of CSS?

Thanks for the advice on DW, Ive been hearing that a lot, Since I like dreamweaver, I will only use the code section untill I get to grips with HTML and CSS.

Look forward to the replys.

Thanks
    Aaron.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Regarding Photoshop, you'll have to excuse me, but certain processes are my own.

As far as slicing, I don't let Photoshop write any code. That is worse than letting Dw do it.

PHP includes allow you to create one document for, as an example, navigation that can be used across multiple documents. That way, if you have a change to make, you only have to make it once. You'll write the same HTML/CSS, just in a different document. Check out w3schools' lesson on includes for more info.
    DanExcell likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    thanks for that again, appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 218376

As far as slicing, I don't let Photoshop write any code. That is worse than letting Dw do it.
    Did that when I first started with photoshop CS (1). All it really was - a nice picture embedded in an html page that was badly written.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Remove Ads