Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi guys,

I am going to start my 3rd and final year at university studying for a degree in Web Technologies...and I am required to think of a project in which I have to demonstrate to my lecturers what I have done theoretically and practically. I can choose to make anything which is where the problem lies.

I do not know what to make....I am good at html, xhtml, css, php, jquery and after effects. Can someone suggest me a project I can do given the technologies I am capable of using.

Thanks A Lot

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Hmmmm.... very open ended.

Personally, When I'm stuck, I try to find something I like and re-create it...

or think of a problem or an issue where web technologies can be a benefit and build something that would resolve or assist in resolving the issue.

How I got one of my first jobs using web technologies is I worked for a manufacturing facility that ran 24/7... one of the biggest problems faced by rotating shifts was communicating the same things to all shifts in a timely manner...

I developed an intranet system that let all the shifts communicate their job needs, safety needs as well as scheduling issues for production purposes.

Since teaching so many individuals HTML was out of the question, I found a wysiwyg editor, they modify their pages as they need to with the editor. Save the file, and my scripts run every 10 minutes looking to see if any of their edited files have changed, if they have they are pulled to the server, if they haven't then nothing happens.

I'm currently working on a revamp of the entire site, incorporating a DB backend and a web based wysiwyg editor that is comparable to what they are currently using.

Member #
    hmmm very clever indeed! thanks for your response...

the bit where im lacking is my imagination and creativitty...i like a lot of things which i wouldnt mind re-creating but i cant think of anything i can re-create or how i can re-create. I am not an advanced programmer but i can do html...css ... jquery and i dont think with the limited skills i have, i can do much to make the original creation into a fantastic new creation.

but thanks for insight into what your doing ...

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    Ahh I see, I always wished I did a website for my final year project. Okay so the sort of projects people did at my university were:

• A golf website (allowed you to meet local golfers, find information about local clubs and some social networking)
    • There was an event website for an art exhibition
    • There was a recipe book thing, and it had a cool feature where you could drag on to a plate the average cooked breakfast you'd eat and it told you the fat, calories and all that stuff.
    • There were 2 websites which gave information on local pubs and bars, and allowed event organisation stuff. (bit overdone I think)

Yeah I can't remember many, but the kitchen one was by far the best, one an award I remember. So maybe you should think about what interests you have? Are you into any sport, anything in the local area? Any charity events which don't have a website (or a good website)? Any music stuff?

There are a few things on my lists of things to do as web applications. The first thing is an interactive piano which you can play with the mouse or keyboard, and you record a song, which it then turns into sheet music.

The second is a mind map generator, all JavaScript and PHP, and savable/exportable/shareable.

You might have different interests though, have you thought about a game or some sort of interactive application?
    Mark Gannaway Software Developer

Recent Experiments
    - Backpropogation Neural Network language solving (http://ann.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Animated image to ASCII (http://google.ganners.co.uk/)
    - 3D Paper Characters (http://cybergame.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Anagram solving (http://roflol.co.uk/)

Member #
    [quote="Personally, When I'm stuck, I try to find something I like and re-create it...
    [/quote]

Thats exactly what I would do as well... look for a project that has already been created then just make it better! You wont be re-inventing the wheel par se, just making it better :-)

Remove Ads