Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have experienced web pages having "png" images are showing correctly in IE7, but those having "gif" images are appearing like a textured image , not appearing properly.

Any way to fix this.. or I will have to convert all to "png" ..

Code:
    img width=
                                "205"
                                    height="165"
                                    style="margin-top:0px;padding-left:30px;"
                                    src="a.gif"
                                    align="left"
                                    hspace="0"
                />

If image is bigger than container, is it better way to directly set its width and height as required without cropping image straight in HTML
    or
    first resize image with some utility to that size .?

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Well, depending on your method of placing the image file determines what you should do in this case fortm. If using Dw, it will allow you to insert the source image file (.psd, .ai, .png fireworks native file format) and if the source file is larger than the div you're using, Dw will allow you to crop it on the spot so to speak. You'll be given the choice of saving the new file to whatever directory you want, but typically the image gets saved into your Site folder. This method has its advantages and disadvantages. On the pro side, because you're using the source file, whenever you update it externally, Dw will be aware of the changes and reflect such the next time you open the program. On the cons side, you're kind of forced to save multiple copies of the same file to your computer which if you're low on disk space may not be very economical. If you can be more specific on what it is you want to do, I'm sure I can be more help.

Also, visit this link as it goes in depth in how to implement a Photoshop Smart Object into a Dw site. http://www.ehow.com/how_4529438_use-...weaver-cs.html There's a lot of advantages of using this method over the simple "insert original image into div and hope it works" method. Also, Dw CS5 also has this capability. Honestly speaking though, with browser's being able to display .png images, I may be wrong but I just don't see the usefulness behind using .gif images. PNG files are smaller (compressed), the quality is just as good as most jpg files, and they support transparency. Given the choice based on this criteria, I'd go with png files every time. I don't know maybe there's something I've forgotten about gif images that make it a better choice. http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/png-gif
    fortm likes this.

Member #
    I have to upload some banners which I got in gif format and are small in sizes.
    I think changing format to png is the way forward..

I was not sure about outcome of resizing images using default img ( width , height) features of HTML without depending on any utility..

I now understand that Dw is the reliable solution to this as it creates a copy which is cropped to proper size.

Thanks Chris.

Remove Ads