Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello, I'm new here and NOT a professional web designer. A brief intro-
    I'm 36 and have been a volunteer EMT for 13 years for the Howell Township First Aid and Rescue Squad #1 in NJ
    www.htfars.org
    I am a career 911 operator and have been for 16 years. About 8 years ago our squad wanted to get a website. A friend of mine designed the basics for the site and then turned it over to me. I have NO training or knowledge in HTML or anything of that nature so i taught myself little by little and have been "just getting by" till now. I utilize the file builder for Ipower which is our hosting site.

My current problem is that I created a banner and buttons to navigate the website in a .swf format. I also have a youtube window in the middle of the site to view various squad stories and interests that I've posted. They have worked perfectly all along and recently I uploaded google chrome to my computer and noticed that they do not show up on there. There is also a rather large blank space at the top of the page on chrome. I wasn't initally concerned by this until I saw the monthly user report and the ratio of CHROME users to IE users is getting greater each month. Some of those users are squad members who have also mentioned the issue to me.

Like I stated earlier, I have done this on my own for our squad so that we do not need to pay someone to maintain the site. We are a volunteer organization with 75 members and do NOT receive tax dollars. I also enjoy it very much. I don't know technical jargon either. If anyone can "view source" of what I have on the site and let me know if there is something I can change to make it work in Chrome I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you for your time,
    John Zicha
    life member, retired officer, website administrator
    www.htfars.org

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Chrome and firefox both are pretty forgiving on .swf files, but I have to ask, can you visit YouTube in your current install of chrome or firefox and view videos?

Reason I'm asking is sometimes the plugins needed for the browser, don't install properly, but if you go there and they play fine, then it's probably just a path problem... I suspect since you probably used the YouTube code to embed, and it's not displaying properly, that the flash player install for your browser is not correct.

Member #
    The youtube window does not show up either. What do I need to add to make all of it show up?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    OK,

got to a PC and this i what I'm seeing...

1. some javascript references but the file it's calling doesn't exist:

<script src="/A2EB891D63C8/avg_ls_dom.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="/A2EB891D63C8/avg_ls_dom.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="/A2EB891D63C8/avg_ls_dom.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="/A2EB891D63C8/avg_ls_dom.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="/A2EB891D63C8/avg_ls_dom.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

2. My IE install that I intentionally don't have flash installed on is kicking up an OCX error when trying to load the ActiveX component for Flash...

That normally means that there is a problem with the way you have embedded the flash file...

I think you're missing the actual embed command so try this instead...

Code:
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0"
                width="100" height="55">
                <param  name="movie" value="HOWELL_TOWNSHIP_FIRST_AID_RESCUE_SQUAD_No_1.swf" />
                <param name="quality" value="high" />
                <embed src="HOWELL_TOWNSHIP_FIRST_AID_RESCUE_SQUAD_No_1.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100" height="55"></embed>
          </object>
    let me know how it goes

Member #
    WEBZARUS....Thank you so much!
    I have used that extension for the banner and individually updating each page and its working. Now can I bug you for one more thing?

I would like to have the static image of our shield in the back ground like before. I left the "training" page the way it was before. Could you look at the source and tell me how I can have that as a static image still? its file name is this.
    <style>BODY {
    BACKGROUND: url(images/hfab4.gif) fixed no-repeat center bottom
    }

I also am still having issues with the youtube window on the home page

Again...THANKS so much for helping me on this!

Member #
    I have now figured out the youtube player as well. I'm good at teaching myself lol.

Now the last 2 things are the border (still white all around) and the static shield/crest on each page which is no longer there. I'm working on it, but still not figuring it out.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Sorry, got busy last night and am back on my phone.' glad you got those issues worked out.

I'll take a look later and seemif I see what you're talking about

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    ok, finally got back:

several things going on on that page:

1. no doc type declared ( looks like some old code from a MS editor ), that's probably why none of the CSS is working on the page.

Put this on the top line of your page:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    Remove the reference to the stylesheet from that page ( you're not using any on the other pages )

Remove:

Code:

<style>BODY {
       BACKGROUND: url(images/hfab4.gif) fixed no-repeat center bottom
       }
       BODY {
       SCROLLBAR-FACE-COLOR: #990000; SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: #0a3a7b; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 350px
       }
       A:link {
       COLOR: #000000; TEXT-DECORATION: none
       }
       A:visited {
       COLOR: #CCCC99; TEXT-DECORATION: none
       }
       A:hover {
       COLOR: #0172f1; TEXT-DECORATION: none
       }
       .ctd {
       BORDER-LEFT: #0a3a7b 0px groove
       }
       .imgb {
       BORDER-BOTTOM: #0a3a7b 3px groove
       }
       .imgm {
       DISPLAY: block; LEFT: 76px; MARGIN-LEFT: auto; MARGIN-RIGHT: auto; POSITION: absolute
       }
       UL#mainnav {
       PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; BACKGROUND: url(images/dark_background_fade.gif); PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: none; TEXT-ALIGN: left
       }
       </style>
    Put this in the <head> section

Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    body{
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
    background-color:#fff;
    background-image:url('images/hfab4.gif') fixed no-repeat bottom;
    }
    </style>
    This should remove the white border around the page and set the background of the page to the image you were using.

If it works for you, you can paste the code into the head section of each of your pages to get the same effect.

let me know how it works for you

Member #
    the border is gone!!!! Still no picture in the back ground though... Maybe if you could copy and past in exactly where I should put it that would help. When looking the code I entered it before the title, after the title, I just can't get it to show up???

Member #
    anything?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads