Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've been working on new styles for my employer's site using CSS and JQuery, and I ran into an interesting quandary, which I was hoping I could get some advice for. I want to be able to add hints to any form elements that may need them, and have them only show up when they're needed (using some sort of hover mechanism). I wanted to ask, what in your opinion is the best way to do this (both handling the indication that there's more info, and having it show up)? One of the books I was reading suggests doing this by adding an info icon to the label, but my employer wants the labels to show up floating on the left side of the form elements, and I found that adding an icon there makes the labels look really odd (because the icon sits between the label and the form). I do know that I'm going to indicate errors with a popup on the right side of the form element (that shows up when the element is focused or the error icon which will appear on the right side of the field is hovered), so I'm not sure if putting the information indicator to the right of the element is the right move.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    When I do something like this I put a small text question mark next to the element. I use a tool tip CSS hover to show the suggested help when a user hovers over the question mark.

Sometime i'll use an image, most of the time just text. Depends on what the client likes best.

Remove Ads