Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    After building my first website from scratch a couple of months ago, I have decided to have a go at building a forum. I know its going to take a lot of work but it is going to be a part time project for the next few months.

Before i start i just wondered if there were any good websites/ tutorials to get up to speed with PHP?

The graphics that i will be using for the forum are going to be basic and very similar to http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/606/default.stm

As my trial for photoshop has run out (tried re-downloading it but it comes up with trial expired ), Is there any other decent programs that I can get on trail or for free to do these basic designs?

Thank you in advance for your help!

EDIT: Should be Building a forum from scratch in the title

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Holy Cow!
    This will be a huge project.
    You'll also need to learn MySQL to handle the database portion.

Your project is actually two parts. The forum as the user sees it, and operates it ...
    and the forum on the 'admin' (administrator) side. User registration, login, and
    setting permissions for general user, moderators (who can edit posts).

It has to be rock solid for security, hackers, spammers, etc.

But it can be done. I wish you luck.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Why build one from scratch when there's many pre-existing ones already out there?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired, post: 219649
    Why build one from scratch when there's many pre-existing ones already out there?
    Why not? Why design websites when you can download so many templates for free? If anything, it's a good exercise in coding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1252, post: 219591
    As my trial for photoshop has run out (tried re-downloading it but it comes up with trial expired ), Is there any other decent programs that I can get on trail or for free to do these basic designs?
    Try Paint.net
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 219666
    Why not? Why design websites when you can download so many templates for free? If anything, it's a good exercise in coding.
    Useful forums are much more complicated than a template. Not to mention they take so much longer. For example, take a look at this forum's software, XenForo. The guys behind it had years of experience working on vBulletin, and when they chose to build their own from scratch it still took 2 years or so.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads