Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey people, First time poster...My namesChris and Im a hobbiest that has done a fair bit of work for my local golf club. They are getting me to re make their Bistro site and would like to have an online order form to replace their current fax form.

I Was just going to make a standard form like a contact form just more in depth, which im sure they will get away with, but i was just wondering if i could pick the brains of you guys to find out if there is a better option to get this done ?

Thanks for any advice.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Almost like a shopping cart script? Will they be using a credit card merchant to have them pay ahead of time? How many items will be on the menu, and do they have good digital photos of the items?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 220247
    Almost like a shopping cart script? Will they be using a credit card merchant to have them pay ahead of time?
    Yeah Pretty much....but they dont require a payment system.... do you think it would be eaiser to just use somthing like ZenCart anyway ?

Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 220247
    How many items will be on the menu, and do they have good digital photos of the items?
    There is exactly 52items on their planned new menu but they dont require pictures although i will advise they do.

Ive always been the type of person to make somthing work without actually taking in 100% of how it works, which is a bad thing that leaves me in a jam like now. My thinking was a form with quantity box's that would auto calculate a price into the total displayed near the submit button... But i realise i dont have the knowledge to produce such a thing haha.

Any direction on what to do here would be great,
    Cheers

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I did one of these a few years ago for a client.

Became more of a pain than good. I'd suggest at least requiring a registration to use it.

What happened to my client ( against my advice ) put up something similar. Got about 3 orders in 2 months. Then they started getting all kinds of orders but no one would ever show up to pick up the orders. If you know much about the restaurant industry, it doesn't take much to cut into the small margins they are running in today.

At the very least, require a phone call back confirmation.

The implementation part is fairly simple. Check out some Ajax calculators, you'd probably find they are easy to work with.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I agree that anything online should require some kind of payment, to create ownership with the order.
    If they don't show, and you've spent the time making the food, filling the order ... they paid already.

Regardless of whether or not you have a way for them to pay, I have another idea for you ...

You can create (or you might already have) a free Google account. With that, you can create
    a Google Doc Spreadsheet. List the items in there ... in this sort of fashion:
    ITEM NO | ITEM NAME | DESCRIPTION | PRICE | PHOTO FILENAME

A PHP script can read that Google Doc and display the menu dynamically.
    You can then use your Javascripting to handle the on-screen quantity and calculator.

Here's the deal about Google Docs ... your client can also have a Google account, and they
    can access the same database. So they can edit the items and costs all by themselves.
    You don't need a MySQL database, or an admin section on your site. It's just a Google Doc.

Member #
    Thanks guys for that, i relayed the confirmation problems to the CEO... of course being a CEO he knows better and thinks it will be fine, Not my problem now i guess lol.

I was searching through google docs and just about to give one a whirl, when i stumbled on a really good tutorial doing exactly what i asked... it just uses a standard html/php form and some JS to auto calculate individual items if more then one was chosen, and then has a final total too.

was a pretty decent tut, http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/we...le.php/3492326 is link if anybody was interested.

Thanks again for your input, without it id still be scratching my head.

Cheers,

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You can use wordpress + some plugn for shopping engine to achieve this . If you need more information I can guide you regarding this

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Keep the email where he says it's not going to be a problem. No seriously, print a copy, save a copy.

If his response is not in email, get him to respond in email. No, not all CEO's will use it against you if it backfires, but I have yet to meet a CEO that is going to admit they made a bad decision. If they have a scapegoat, they will use it.

Been there, done that, replied with their email back to them showing they did in fact tell me that it would be ok and to just do it their way. BTW... he is longer a CEO. but I'm still doing what I do.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    And just to clarify ... the Google Docs spreadsheet is only for the "CEO" or admin person
    to add/edit/and price the menu items. You will of course still use your new found form
    and javascripting to display the menu to the patrons.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You'll need some kind of backend process to do real-time alerts when an order comes in. Even if this is as simple as an email to an account that's constantly monitored... that's the most important piece.

Remove Ads