Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    My website is a splash page (one single page with objects over lapping). Whenever you reach my website for a good 2 seconds you can see the background layout. Why is that and is there anyway to prevent this?

Check it out:
    www.DaniellaKramer.com

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You are loading tons of javascripting. That has to get into the user's browser.

Member #
    Any way to limit this?

Member #
    because I assume most fancy web 2.0 flash websites today have lots of javascript loading as well. How do they counteract this? Can I make my images smaller (although I believe they are as low res as they can get)?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Your site is not Flash (which is a good thing).
    But, to make it load faster, you need to eliminate unnecessary javascripting.
    Remove any of the subtle things that are "eye candy", but you are willing to live without.

It's just the price you pay for your "animated" site.
    Does it add value to you, or your business? I don't think it really does.

Your "Works" are what the content really is about.

Just for experimenting, keep the javascripting for all pages, except the main page.
    See what difference that makes.

Not that anyone really turns-off javascripting, but I did (just for the fun of it).
    Your site is not accessible at all without javascripting. That's not really a good thing.

Member #
    Thanks for the advice, I'll work on it

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Could also be your hosting provider. I've seen this a lot lately on some really cheap hosting providers they are really overloading their servers.

The jqvascripting issue can be tested , by making sure your browser, is set to not check for newer versions of pages ( caching ), clear your temp files, open the site, close the browser down, then reopen the site. The 2nd time you open the site, should be much faster as the files should still be cached on your local machine.

If it's not much faster, then it might be more of a hosting issue than a design issue.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Your Host BlueHost has 2600 other sites on the same server, that is possibly a problem, but looking at the site ( I like it ), with chrome, there is a built in tool in chrome called "audit", where you can load the page and have chrome make recommendations for making the site faster...

open in chrome, right click, select "inspect element"... when it's open, you will see the "audit tab"...

your site has tons of network optimization opportunities...

combine your javascript(s), add some cahce control tags, etc...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    wow this is an amazing tool, thank you!
    For most of their requests I am baffled how to fulfill them, or know which are the most effective.

For instance, how can I compress the pages using gzip? I googled for an answer but feel evern more confused. It seems my google analytics is slowing things down. If I compress my pages will it effect my analytics?

It also talks about CSS that is not being used... I'm not sure exactly what coding they are speaking of and I don't want to accidentally delete content that is valuable.

Any suggestions on steps I can begin to take?
    BTW my website DaniellaKramer.com is also linked to dkdesigngroup.net, does this make a difference?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    By linked do you mean pointer ( 2 domain names to the same location )?

That shouldn't matter a bit.

Gzip is something most decent hosting providers offer on their account settings.

As for the CSS, you can use the same tool " inspect elements" , point at each part of the page, any CSS element, the unused attributes will have a line through them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads