Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I recently installed Apache with MySQL and PHP (XAMPP) on my c:drive.I couldn't get it to run through my local host. I think this was because I had previously installed Bitnami so when I opened a browser and went to the local host, I got the Bitnami page instead.

I then found a way to change the port setting and this seemed to work except that when I was configuring MyPHPAdmin I was trying to change the password but I saw on the screen that it was already "secure" so I haven't been able to change the password. Is this something I need to worry about? especially when the site goes live? Can I have both Bitnami and Apache on my computer at the same time or will I have to choose one over the other to make it work through the local host properly? I am trying to create a Joomla site and want to make sure that it's secure.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Need more detail -
    what's your testing OS?
    what will the host be running when the site goes live?

Based only on what you have said above, I'd say go with Apache, as this is what most hosts run on.
    Alanna Baxter likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    If your running Linux use xamp, if its mac mamp, if its windows wamp. If you have skype go to options > advanced > connection and untick "use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incoming connections".

Also make sure that any other form of hosting software you have on your computer has been removed as this will defo cause conflicts. When you start *amp it should be in your task bar and hopefully turn green, if its still yellow it means there is something blocking it.

Hope this kinda helps.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 220559
    Need more detail -
    what's your testing OS?
    what will the host be running when the site goes live?

Based only on what you have said above, I'd say go with Apache, as this is what most hosts run on.
    Hi. I am running Windows 7 O/S on a 64-bit Sony laptop. I originally used Bitnami for creating and testing a Wordpress site. I had taken an online training course that recommended it.

I was told by my hosting company that I didn't need to install Apache. It's already there for me and I could just upload the Joomla files to a test folder I set up under a current domain I have. Then create my site. I'm trying to do it locally just for the experience in case anyone happens upon my test site. Because I haven't been able to secure the password in MyPHPAdmin, I'm more determined to run it locally. I also want to know more about the whole database thing. I have no idea what it is but apparently you set one up somewhere. I haven't gotten that far yet in my online training.

Q: So would you recommend that I uninstall Bitnami an then reinstall Apache? Also, can I create and test WP sites using Apache as well?

Thanks for all the help.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Hi Alanna,

Yes I recommend uninstalling Bitnami and install Apache as apache is more productive.

Answer to your question. Yes you can have Wordpress, Joomla, cmsfs, phpbb, loads of different cms's. The database is much easier to work with in wamp as well Make sure you download the Wamp x64 version too. It will help you out no end .

If you have problems installing, please screenshot the issue and I can take a look into it further for you.

View my company Website

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Ok, so I'm going to uninstall Bitnami and XAMPP. Then reinstall. But are you saying that I should be using WAMP instead of XAMP, m3n0tu18? Also, do I need to install both the 32-bit and the 64-bit? Do I need to have both? I'm a little confused here......

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanna Baxter, post: 220652
    Ok, so I'm going to uninstall Bitnami and XAMPP. Then reinstall. But are you saying that I should be using WAMP instead of XAMP, m3n0tu18? Also, do I need to install both the 32-bit and the 64-bit? Do I need to have both? I'm a little confused here......
    Also, I had changed the Skype setting not to rely on port 80. If I install both the 64 and the 32-bit WAMP or XAMPP will there be a port conflict?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    If you're on Windows you need WAMP.
    You are running 64-bit windows 7, so use 64-bit WAMP.

In WAMP, once it is installed, if you look at the directory structure, you will see a filer call "www". All the sites you want to use WAMP with should be created as folders inside the "www" folder.
    Then when you launch WAMP and look in "localhost" you will see those folders.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanna Baxter, post: 220652
    Hi Alanna,

Alphamare is right there You need to make sure you only install the x64 version if you have a x64 machine. Also yes, if its a windows machine you need WAMP. (Windows apache mysql php)

You might have port conflicts if you install both (only 1 is needed) you can locate the www directory in
    C:\wamp\www <-- as long as you have installed it as default.

View my company Website

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m3n0tu18, post: 220663
    Hi Alanna,

Alphamare is right there You need to make sure you only install the x64 version if you have a x64 machine. Also yes, if its a windows machine you need WAMP. (Windows Apache Mysql Php)
    Yep - I've been using WAMP for years now, and I really couldn't work as fast or as easily as I do without it.
    m3n0tu18 and Alanna Baxter like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads