Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi,

This is my first time posting on this site, or any webdesign site for that matter. I have learned a little bit about web design here and there but would not call my self anything close to a web designer at the moment.

However I want to design a website to track my hockey pool, with the ultimate goal of running it for others to use. There are various websites available that provide this service but none of them are very good at accomidating pools that are as specific as what I need. This has led me to keep track of most of my pool info on an excel sheet and let another site keep track of the points. I want to build a site that will do it for me, and also be customizable enough to accomodate other peoples custom pools.

Anuways what I want to know is what goes into building a site like these two?
    www.officepools.com
    http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage/sports?sport=hockey (this site you probably have to be in a league to see what it looks like but ideally an interface like this is the end goal, but not a necessity to start out with)

I guess What I really want to know is how hard is it to build a site that can track and cumulate stats like officepools.com does? Thats the main thing I need it to do to start with.

Thank you in advance

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You would use a server-side program using PHP and most likely MySQL (for the database).
    I don't know much about "pools", but is this where you pick players from the NHL, like a fantasy team?

And do you have access to a database that has current NHL player and team statistics?

Member #
    Thank you for the reply. Yes by pools I mean fantasy Hockey. Although the end goal would be to make a website that can track any kind of pool/fantasy hockey, like Loser pools where you pick a team to lose every Saturday, or a box pools where each entry picks a player from say 20 different lists of players to create their team.

At the moment I do not have access to a database with Current NHL players and stats. I have created one with players and salaries in an excel sheet, and then I use officepools to keep the stats. There are websites that do provide that service though. in the beggining I would probably just use the stats from a site like officepools.com. For $20 I can create a pool on their site and get the stats for every player. I would imagine that I would have to enter it manually every night until I could afford to pay for a service to supply the raw data.

For someone like myself who is fairly new to web design would you think I could create a server-side program using PHP and most likely MySQL. I don't need it for this season, i was thinking i could have it ready for a year from now. I usually learn stuff like this fairly quickly.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    There will be 3 parts to your site:

1) The MySQL database.
    This is where all of your site users, teams, player-picks, etc. are stored.

2) The admin section.
    This is where only you can access the database stuff, manage registered users, etc.

3) The site for everyone else.
    This is what everyone sees ... they can log-in, view their stats, veiw other stats, etc.

Register for this free stats site:
    http://www.spxn.com/

I think you can download CSV data files for team scores and player stats.
    Maybe I'll look around there and see if they have a way to get that data using PHP?

What you're doing is going to be a rather advanced project, but you'll learn a lot about PHP/MySQL.

EDIT:
    I see you can't download much with the FREE account ... I guess it will cost you about $80 a year.
    Oh well ... that would be a nice way to do it though.

Member #
    I think that if i build this website that the $80 fee wouldn't be too much of a problem.

So to build this website I need to use PHP which from what i understand from a couple minutes of research is a glorified version of Html that is able to carry out tasks kind of like macro's in excel? As well as MySQL.

Do i need to buy programs for this? or are they available for free? Can you point me to some good tutorials to help me get started? Thank you again.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanky, post: 221264
    I think that if i build this website that the $80 fee wouldn't be too much of a problem.

So to build this website I need to use PHP which from what i understand from a couple minutes of research is a glorified version of Html that is able to carry out tasks kind of like macro's in excel? As well as MySQL.

Do i need to buy programs for this? or are they available for free? Can you point me to some good tutorials to help me get started? Thank you again.
    Maybe you should do more than a couple of minutes of research.

PHP is a distinct programming language, with a syntax completely different from HTML. It is often embedded into HTML to add functions HTML cannot do.

PHP works on the server side, usually but not always in conjuction with a database, to to collect, process and utilize data to create a desired output. Often the results are rendered back to the browser in HTML.

You don't need a specific program to write PHP, just a good text editor. Notepad++ is a good one.

You'll find some tutorials here and also here.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Without PHP/MySQL experience, you are going to have a rather steep learning curve.
    M.A. is correct ... try to learn more about how the programming will be. Worry about
    the data later on.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Thanks alpha mare for the completely sarcastic post. It was of no help what so ever.

What do you think I am doing by asking questions on this board??? It's called research. You would think as a mod you would be interested in growing the user base of your message board instead of trying to alienate them. Mlseim has been able to point me in the right direction without being a complete ***.

I am completely capable of finding any old tutorial on php, I thought maybe some people on this board might have an idea of where to find a good one.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Stanky ... let's all "chill-out" here and discuss this.

One thing about using a forum is, we can't display our emotions when we type things.
    AlphaMare is never sarcastic. So, the point here is that you can do all of your project
    for no cost. As Alpha said, Notepad++ is the best text editor to use (it's free). You can
    use FileZilla for all of your FTP needs (it's free).

You are correct in letting us know what your current experience is, and what you've already
    researched ... because we have no way of knowing that. I recommend that you look into
    either WordPress (it's not just for blogs anymore), or Joomla. Those pre-made CMS systems
    would be the backbone of your site. Those can handle all of the user registration parts.

The other part of it ... the teams, scores, player trades, whatever ... would have to be done
    by you (by hand), unless you found some sort of pre-made fantasy team scripts. So I think
    the final product you have will be a mesh between a CMS and your own scripts.

I found some "hits" on Google for possible solutions using Joomla extensions:
    http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...w=1024&bih=606

Do some more research on that avenue, and see if maybe Joomla + the sports extensions
    will produce the site you are looking for.

And please, stay with WDF. We really are a good forum, and Alpha Mare is the most helpful.
    Look at the "likes" ... it doesn't get much better than that. Let's just chalk this one up to
    interpreting the post the wrong way ... we're past it now, and we'll help you get the site you want.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Me thinks AM was offended by his comment about PHP being glorified HTML, I didn't see anything in her comments that could even be remotely construed as "sarcastic", as a matter of fact, her comments were factual and to the point ( with just a touch of being irritated by someone who speaks with a voice of experience, but obviously has little in this field ), in his own words " in the few minutes of research I've done ", that's actually more insulting to those of us who have been doing this stuff... Than anything AM said.

I recently had to let go one of my interns, because on paper and in interviews, he seemed to be very knowledgeable about the technologies, but had more problems implementing the basics than he should... he always knew the correct terms and some great ideas... Just couldn't actually produce, and had every excuse in the book why it wasn't working... Sadly, he started spouting off about things he knew nothing about, I suspect he did a few minutes research and concluded that was the reason he was having problems, asking for these things to be fixed when in fact they were never the cause of the problem.

Moral of the story: don't bite off more than you can chew, cause the person in the room that KNOWS the heimlich maneuver, may step out of the room for a little while.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads