Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have been talking to web designers that have the same problem as me of finding realistic images on stock photo sites. A lot of you have also brought up your concerns in one of my previous posts here

I thought it would be cool if I put a thread together where you can request for the image you need, and then I will relay those requests to photographers.

So post your photo needs here and I will get photographers to respond:

Member #
    Some guidelines to help:

Where are your pictures being used?
    What are they being used for?
    Who are your customers?
    How much are you willing to pay?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Ryan ....
    So you're going to be like the "middle-man", connecting web designers/developers
    with photographers? Photographers from anywhere could sign-up to be one of the
    photo suppliers, and users would answer your questions, and make an offer on what
    they would pay?

That sounds like a really good WordPress or Joomla project to me.
    By that I mean ... you need to create a website for that.
    Come up with a cool domain name, subscribe to a webhosting account and "get cookin"!

Start working on it now!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 221408
    Ryan ....
    So you're going to be like the "middle-man", connecting web designers/developers
    with photographers? Photographers from anywhere could sign-up to be one of the
    photo suppliers, and users would answer your questions, and make an offer on what
    they would pay?

That sounds like a really good WordPress or Joomla project to me.
    By that I mean ... you need to create a website for that.
    Come up with a cool domain name, subscribe to a webhosting account and "get cookin"!

Start working on it now!
    Thats exactly it. Thanks for the advice! We started working on a website. I am posting here to test the feasibility of the concept and see how people use it so make changes before launching.

Member #
    BTW, I love your quote.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I'm just rambling on here ... sort of a proof of concept ...

Selecting, or getting photographers to contribute will be the hardest part.
    Somehow, the photographers would have to agree on letting the buyer use the photo(s) as they wish.
    And the photographer could not let anyone else use that photo unless the photo(s) are somehow
    listed as "non-exclusive". Maybe a buyer would have to pay more for an exclusive photo?

Perhaps the photos also need to be specified as online use only, or can printing on paper be allowed?

Behind the scenes, I would store the actual "full-size" photos in a directory (not in the MySQL DB).
    The database would store all of the photo information (filename, photographer, price, etc).

Database tables:
    photo information
    photographer information
    customer information
    photos currently in use

You would have another directory filled with the thumbnails, or smaller (watermarked) photos.

The PHP script could serve the photos to the buyer at any size (PHP GD resizing), and you can
    also have them served with any filename. So, the directory where they are stored is kept secure.

Another situation ...
    Say I order a photograph of a New York City street scene. The photographer takes a photo,
    or already has one and they let me download it. Maybe it would be good for me to login and
    see "proofs" of photos I've ordered (in my user profile). Those proofs would be watermarked.
    I may not like the photo they gave me (of New York), and ask for a different view or focus.
    There has to be a way to approve a photo before buying.

This will be a problem for photographers. They take the time to get photos, but the buyer
    decides not to buy them. There has to be some sort of escrow account, where the buyer pays
    into and commits to something ... so the photographer is guaranteed to be paid.

What you're doing is very similar to 99designs.com ...except with photos, not graphics.
    Take a close look at their system, their rules, and how it works.

Member #

Definitely, we actually sometimes pitch it to people, if they know 99designs, as the 99designs for commercial photography

Member #
    Hi guys

This sounds like an amazing idea. how is the new site building going?

Anything particular you need help with atm?

Member #
    Thanks! We are having some trouble with the designer we hired, so might be looking for a new one tonight.

We are open to any other suggestions.

As for programming, it is a quick build for our Private Beta, we have design firms and photographers that are going to beta test. If you have connections to large design firms or professional photographers that would be helpful!

Thanks so much, I will message both of you the site when we get our teaser page up tomorrow.

Member #
    I have a great designer for you. If you need one PM me your email address and i will pass it to him.

And be sure to post or PM me the teaser page

Remove Ads