Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    My wife and I are looking to create a site like this:

http://www.pauljnoble.com/

The main function of the website is to display articles within chapters. The Chapters and articles will replace the portfolio content of Paul's site. We are thinking that the chapters will be vertically aligned and that the articles will go horizontally. We would like each article to contain media share buttons. What would be the best way to accomplish this? The articles will be the same style, but the layout of each will be slightly different. What would be the terminology that describes these scrolling pages? Are they webpages? Blocks? Divisions? Panes?

Part of the problem is that I just don't have all the terminology down yet.

Is there any reason the javascript wouldn't allow the articles to scroll the same way the images do?

thanks for your help. This is going to be a rough couple weeks

Out of curiosity, how long do you think it would take an experienced person to layout a site like that with content that won't be finalized for a few more weeks?

We are hitting the books hard and chipping away at all the separate pieces and hoping the learning curve isn't too steep if we stay focused and work our asses off.

Thanks again! Sorry for the length.

Member #
    This looks promising if all else fails. It is a compromise though...

http://css-tricks.com/examples/AnythingSlider/#panel2-1

Member #
    This site has scrolling divs with links wrapped with in.

http://carrotcreative.com/#!/clients

Also, would our idea involve lots of editing of javascript? It seems like some is pre-packed but Paul's had some custom. looking at some javascript in notepad sends chills down my back.

Member #
    We are now considering a freelancer for the development of the web site. Let me know if you are interested.

The main content of the site is going to be about 7 chapters with a range of 3-8 articles in each. One chapter has 15 articles, but the others aren't has heavy.

We want a left side bar navigation for this content. Similar to this: http://flowplayer.org/tools/demos/sc...avigation.html

The chapter titles will take the place of the building on the example above. The first scrollable window pane for that chapter (where the first picture of the building is) will contain an index page with thumbnails and article headings that are clickable. Click on the thumnail and the content scrolls right to the selected article, or one may browse through each article using navigation buttons.

The article panes will all have the same formatting. The same thumbnail as the one in the index pane and a column of text that has a scroller to navigate to text that doesn't fit in the pane. At the top right of each article pane we would like facebook/ twitter media share buttons as well as an email and print button.

None of the article content is finalized. It would just be dummy text where the article content goes.
    We are primarily interested in having a framework that we can add content too.

If anyone here feels qualified, please pm us with an idea of cost/timeline to implement this and any questions you might have.

Member #
    Is this type of site hard to gauge for time requirements? I am still curious to find out how long some of think it would take to do. We ended up handing it over to someone more qualified for 10k last week, but I still very much interested in webdesign and coding. Was 10k a reasonable number?

Remove Ads