Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Many of you have heard me deride the use of someone else's code except where absolutely necessary, or in cases like jQuery, where the idea is to create an simple shortcuts as opposed to doing the work for you. The dirty secret is, I've always used a CSS reset that I downloaded somewhere, which, while I have gone over the code and tweaked it heavily, was nonetheless written by someone else.

<rant>That said, I spent 2 bleeding hours today trying to figure out why the images in my Flexslider would display with 7px left margin and then jump back to the left. I finally discovered, by deleting the @import for said reset that the margin-left set for li elements was causing it. I got deep into Flexslider's CSS and even the jQuery. I removed and re-added the slider. Everything I could think of.</rant>

So, if I've said it once, I've said it 1000 times...write your own dang code.

P.S. I also spent an hour trying to figure out why the slider wouldn't work on my localhost, only to discover that my internet connection had dropped off, and I'm loading jQuery from Google Code.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Sometimes someone else's code is way better than mine.

Do I have to worry about the scripting I provide on WDF?
    I hope my scripting (good and bad) doesn't offend your ego too much.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Ok, so the statement "someone else's code" is perhaps a bit too broad for what I'm trying to get at, but the point I'm trying to make is to be careful, or you may end up spending 2 hours troubleshooting because of it. Not to mention, if you wrote it, you know how to troubleshoot it. I had no idea where the issue was coming from, and it ended up being something I didn't even write. Generally, when you've written everything you're able to write, you'll know exactly where to go to fix a given issue.

I got a bit carried away with the frustration, I guess.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    In those two hours, did you learn anything that you didn't previously know?
    I usually learn something new about PHP every time I troubleshoot any script.
    In my case, those 2 hours sometimes save me 4 hours on a different project.
    But I feel your frustration.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I did. I learned some pretty nifty stuff about jQuery. I saw some seriously well commented code that makes me ashamed of how poorly I comment mine. I also learned that I need to finally take the time to write my own reset, because this isn't the first time I've had issues with this one.
    mlseim likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    I've always used Yahoo's page reset and haven't had an issue. I guess sometimes other code like CSS resets or small PHP functions can be used, so long as you understand how they would and could write them if you needed to.

Sometimes copying an email send PHP code from one site to another is faster then writing it from scratch every time, but maybe that is just me?

Remove Ads