Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Alright, I'm working on a single page website. I want to have a background image with text in various places around the page. This text, hopefully, will stay in the exact spot no matter the monitor size or browser being used. Also, the text will link to other pages that will open in small pop up windows (I figured out that part). Does anyone have ideas as to how this can be accomplished?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    The staying in the exact spot is a problem. What happens if someone is using
    a 15inch monitor, and another is using a 20inch monitor. Also, the resolution of their video.

Do you mean your links squish together and spread apart, or is the background fixed?

I wonder if you're spending way too much time on something that doesn't contribute to the web site.
    Why not just display the links where people can easily click on them?
    And think about iPad, laptops, netbooks, people with two 20-inch monitors side by side ... etc.

Trust me, nobody cares how "cool" you can make your links ... it's all about content.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    you could do an OLD SCHOOL image map...

but again, you're going to run into issues between mobile devices and wide Screen monitors...

someone is gonna have to scroll

Member #
    Thanks guys, I decided to go with an image map. The whole point of the site is the links and where they are positioned, I think I've figured it out. Thank you again!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Make sure you test with Safari and Chrome ... as well as Firefox and IE (6,7,8 and 9).

Not sure what your site is about, or why you have to do the background with links,
    but also know that you can use PHP to place text or other graphics onto any image,
    at any location on the image. Something to keep in the back of your mind if you need
    to move them around by X and Y locations read from a database. Depending how intense
    the visits or refresh is, PHP is an option for backgrounds that don't change too often.

If you did the HTML image mapping ... I wonder if that will disappear (go obsolete) fairly soon?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Shouldn't be deprecated out just yet,

I guess another option ( now that I think about it ), do everything as a percentage, set the links in divs , make them a percentage as well.... Could accomplish some interesting hover effects for the links... Say maybe... Some semi transparent backgrounds...

Sounds interesting... May have to play with that one...

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I wish the OP would give us a link to the site. It would be interesting to see
    the reason for doing all of this. How much time to spend on this VS the purpose.
    If it's a key part of the site, so be it ... but let's see the URL please.

Remove Ads