Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi guys,

I only use HTML. Yes, I'm a newb. I want to know what program to use(Maybe Dreamweaver?) in order to accomplish the following:

I want to make a site which has template across all pages where they look similar. The main thing I am concerned about is making global changes in the site. Say I have a color scheme of red and blue, for example. Then one day I decide to change that to yellow and blue; I want to make it all reflected in the whole site. Also, if I change the menu or add a menu, I want the whole site to reflect that added change. Now, I have found a way to do this with HTML, but I can't make it look too pretty or curvey like most modern sites. And I'm not even sure HTML can handle things such as slideshow of a few changing pics...

I can learn a new language such as php, asp, or whatever, but honestly, I'd prefer to use a program which can work my goals much faster.

In a nutshell: A program that can help my change my whole site's layout very quickly and cohesively and help me make it look professional.

Thank you all in advance,
    MrD

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Dreamweaver can do all that, but if you use the wysiwyg interface, and use the builtin template functions as well as any of the builtin JavaScript stuff, the code generated can get bloated very quickly.

You can also accomplish everything you're talking about with notepad, notepad++, or any other cheap or free editor if you learn some basic scripting language like php or asp, and use the includes function.

Basically build out all the "common" parts in standard HTML and use a single CSS fIle for the design elements. Then start a shell page that calls the "includes" and CSS file.

Asp.net has a function called "master pages", that will accomplish a lot of the same thing.

I use DW and have been since version 2.0, but I have used "code view" for about the past 6-7 years, once I realized how bloated the "design view" got. I really like the FTP and project management stuff built into DW, but I only use code view and the methods above.

I create a single HTML file to confirm the layout is doing exactly what I want, the break everything down into the "common" files. If I need to make a site wide change, I only have to modify 1 page and push that to the server.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So I should learn ASP and incorporate it into HTML. ASP and HTML will flow together in the same.html file?

I assume you are talking about the #include? I used this in my HTML for each page to have the #include so it will include a header. That's as far as I got.

Let me know. Because from your post, it looks like I shoudl learn ASP or CSS. Or Both?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Also I should just mention this. My text on the site is all black. What if I change the back ground to black, how can i change all those HTML written pages to have text a different color? Remember, it is all in html already...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Nope, asp is a windows server scripting language. And must be called from a page with the .asp extension ( unless you know how to setup a server to load the asp engine when a different extension is called ), if your using Linux for hosting, you'll need to learn how to do php includes. And those pages must be called with a php extension.

As for text color/background color, that is the beauty of CSS. When setting up your CSS external file, make sure to define the site wide text color and page background colors. Then you can change both or either from just changing the CSS file.

W3schools.com is a good place to start with the basics of all of the above mentioned.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The server side scripting language you can use is determined by the platform of your hosting provider.

Php = Linux based servers, although many windows servers are now supportin php.

Asp/asp.net = windows servers only.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I see. So CSS is what I should look into.

I am using yahoo and when i click on create page it gives me option for php, html, text, or perl. So i guess it doesn't support asp maybe.

Now the final question remains, what happens since I don't have any of the html referencing a master CSS file. If I just create a master css files, are all my pages going to follow it?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I would really urge you to visit w3schools.com , I can keep explaining things, but I think you will get a better grasp if you see some real world stuff.

They have tutorials on everything we have discussed.

To use an external CSS file , you'll need to recode your current files to take advantage of it. And yes, it does work with asp, but if your hosting provider is not windows based, no sense in adding to the confusion.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Sounds good. I'm not asking for tutorials, more like general advice.

The main gripe I had was the question of will I have to re-do my whole site to incorporate it all into CSS. Looks like you've answered the question. A lot of pages have to be redone. tons of pages lol.

I appreciate it.

Thank you!
    Dave

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If you have used DW then you have pretty standard tags...

DW has a "find/replace" tool that can speed up the process, that can do just a single page, all pages in a particular folder, or the entire site.

If you need to create custom divs, then that can be a little tricky, but for standard tags DW Also supports creating and applying an external style sheet to your pages.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads