Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I work for a small business with an online retail store. We use a commerce software to control our product listings and one of their companies actually built the site for us. When I started here in June, I was just entering product information into the commerce database. Since then I have pretty much taught myself HTML and CSS plus a decent amount of Photoshop and Illustrator. My job now consists of a combination of entering/updating product information, designing banners for the website, tweaking the prewritten code to suit the needs of our site/store, putting used products on ebay, creating powerpoint presentations, and maintaining our twitter/facebook accounts. When I was just doing data entry, I thought my wages were fair ($1.25 above minimum wage), but now that I'm doing more tasks, some requiring a lot more proficiency/skill, I'm not so sure. What should I be asking for? How can back up my argument? Is there a resource I can show my boss that would help?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Personally, the best way to judge what you should be getting paid is... Interview for a different job that includeds your new skills. You may find out that only a few months experience of doing what you're doing isn't worth much ... Then again, they might be worth something to someone.

I hate to say it, but the skills you mentioned, you should have had for that position.

Also, depending on your location has a big factor in pay scale. You can't compare what someone in NY city, with someone who has the same skills in Columbia SC.

You are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay you. If you have increased your levels of responsibility by choice and initiative, then that should say something to your employer, but its doubtful they will come to you with an offer.

Again, if there are other jobs in your area that you can interview for, that would be your best guage and leverage in getting a raise.

Just my opinion...

Remove Ads