Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Ok, so I need to make a catalog of parts (over 300+) for different cars and want to know the best way of going about it. Im thinking either javascript conditional menu for the vehicle selection or just plain html link navigation for the sake of simplicity. I am also going to incorporate a shopping cart since it will be for e-commerce. I am relatively new to web design and I am in the process of learning PHP, which was suggested to index the car parts by a friend. Suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You should l

Member #
    ?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You should probably look at some dynamic Ajax menus that depending on your first selection, it will display a filtered list on the next menu.

It's most commonly done with drop down selection list.

Member #
    That would have been my guess. Now as far as the parts themselves. I was told something about making PHP call each one? Im fresh to this so Im just looking for a little more guidance. Oh and I definitely heard both 3d cart and Zen Cart mentioned before so its definitely something i'll be looking into. Im assuming if I do go with one of those solutions the parts/part page will be incorporated into the cart UI itself? If not, I would be making my own pages and just an add to cart link that stores the items right?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Zen cart allow you to put up each inventory item.. Zen cart is more of a "browse" for items, but if you build out your categories properly, you can build your "selector" to search for general categories and or specific parts.

You'll have to build your own selector as zen cart didn't have it the last time I set one up for someone and we basically did what you want to do. The newest version might have a plugin, it's been a while...

Member #
    And this "selector" would this be coded in plain html/css or run with PHP?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Since you'll be building out the selector in Ajax, it will run in either HTML or php

Remove Ads