Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov, post: 223550
    wow that's a pretty big list of things to learn... hopefully this wont take forever
    Steve Mosely is the Steve Hawking of webdesign. But without the wheelchair. His head is full of super-compressed matter the size of a planet. Be careful about doing everything he does. Your head is liable to explode.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Spare a thought for us guys over the pond, it certainly doesnt seem to of found its way over here yet, or maybe Im just out of touch.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    A mod should make a sub topic for this. It will be better for everyone.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley, post: 223529
    Well Canada is another story entirely....
    Shut up and go watch Fox News, you friggin' hillbilly barefoot backwards dumbass George Bush-worshipping bastard.

Seriously, .NET takes the idea that you're talking about a step further (if used properly) with Master Pages. Master pages separate the layouts into their own files (appropriately enough called .master files). You can apparently even nest them if you want, although I haven't tried it personally. You also have the option of using code-behinds to really separate your programming logic from your output.

Then if you want to get hardcore, you can start creating custom code snippets and put them in the App_Code folder (or bin folder if you create custom code snippets and then compile them with Visual Studio) and then you've really got separation of logic happening. And that's just plain sexy.

MVC generally works well too (although from what I've seen of Magento from a dev point of view, it's finicky), but there are alternatives.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    .NET is actually not a development paradigm, but just a regular old IDE & compiler.

Master pages are just templates.

There are many tools within .NET to ameliorate the preferred multi-tier pattern, but it's not required that you create a BLL or DAL for your .NET app to work.

PS - Go check out ASP.NET/MVC - it's pretty hot right now.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You're still a hillbilly barefoot backwards dumbass George Bush-worshipping bastard.
    Ronald Roe and shovenose like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Hard to take an insult seriously when coming from a Canadian.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley, post: 224642
    This.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley, post: 224642
    Let's fight at recess. When we put each other in the hospital, I'll get to go for free and you'll have to pay for it!
    AlphaMare and Andrew Yurlov like this.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 224682
    Let's fight at recess. When we put each other in the hospital, I'll get to go for free and you'll have to pay for it!
    I'll hold your coats.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Remove Ads