Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I started a job for a client a couple of hours ago. The client gave me NO details but said he want's a fresh looking theme, related to gardening. So, I put this together the design below, at this stage it's clear it's work in progress and there was a lot to do. I detailed the plans for the header to add some garden elements etc.

Paper mockup: http://i43.tinypic.com/6oiyok.jpg
    Design mockup: http://i39.tinypic.com/34pkmlk.png

His response shocked me.

He basically told me the design was s**t (he actually said that). He said he has experience selling websites and that blue and green the way I've used them should never go together. And went onto say some other stuff that he obviously had no idea about.

Then he said "This web site is much better: http://www.landscapia.net/index.htm".

Now, I've worked with clients hundreds of times. I understand our ideas conflict and I'm used to tearing up designs and starting fresh. But, I've never had a client that thinks he knows more than me, and then uses verbally abusive language to put my work down.

A simple explanation from him would be "Sorry, it's not we're looking for. Can you do something like this".

He's now gone off to find a new designer.

Well, I wish him luck. I was doing the complete design and WP coding for 150 as it's a friend of a friend. Let's see him find a designer that will do it for that price.

Anyone worked with similar people?

Ps. My first post, as I lost my user details from when I was regged a year ago.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    And I'd say good riddance. God help the designer that ends up working with him. Brush it off and move on. It really isn't worth the time you're spending being frustrated about it. Think about it this way: you were clearly doing this at a reduced rate. Now you're freed up to get another client at full rate. That's money in your pocket.

As for the design, he's clearly retarded. It's a nice, clean, sharp design with solid graphics. Personally, I'd lighten the blue a shade or 2, but it looks really good like it is.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    It would have helped if he had sketched something on paper of what he wanted,
    even if he can't draw well ... you would have been given an idea on the layout needed.
    Though he was totally out of line, you should make sure next time you have the clients
    at least put some pencil marks on paper describing the site they envision.

You'll now remember not to accept jobs unless the clients take a little bit of ownership in it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you for the replies. Some valid points noted for next time Out goes one, in comes another client.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Client's a moron. That design is freakin' hot. That's why he's doing landscape work. F- him.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    PS - LOL @ the irony of the tag line.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Smoseley. And yeah, I couldn't help laugh myself.

Remove Ads