Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Hey people,

I made a new blog now I have been writing stuff on it for 2 days, I get a couple of page views (probably from myself) however i'm pretty sure If people know my website exists I would get some traffic on my website. The tricky part of course is obtaining traffic, so anyone has some ideas for me or anyone els who is dealing with the same issue?:angel:

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You need to get your page ranking on page one in search engines.

You need to identify some keywords based on your niche. After identifying keywords you need to check the number of searches your keywords get (use Google Keywords Tool). Then, you need to check the competition and see if it's going to be worth going for those keywords.

If so, write them all down on paper.

Next you need to ensure a page on your site is going for that keyword. So, if one of your keywords is "Puppy Food" you need to write a page on your site about puppy food. A useful and informative page. Sprinkle the keyword "Puppy Food" throughout the text on the page and make sure your H1 contains the keyword. You could also use the strong tag on some of the keywords.

Once you've done that, get backlinks to that page. Ensure your keyword is in the anchor text. You can get backlinks from forums, other users sites etc. There's lots of ways.

Probably one of the best ways is to publish artices on high PR article directories such as ezine and articlebase. Also, use hubpages, squidoo, wordpress etc. to publish articles and link back to your site in the artices.

This is the basis of SEO and its one of the only ways to get natural, targeted, traffic without paying.

I do this on a daily basis as I work in Internet Marketing. If you have any questions let me know.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You'll attract a certain amount of traffic naturally over time. The key is to make sure you're creating relevant, quality content that people find interesting. This is the basis of on-site SEO.

As far as off-site SEO, JayOne has a ton of great advice.

Member #
    Keep changing around the content on your website, a better idea would be to keep blogs on your website and keep adding more. This will make you more visible to google and help you when people do a little search on search engines.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcounter, post: 223322
    Hey people,

I made a new blog now I have been writing stuff on it for 2 days, I get a couple of page views (probably from myself) however i'm pretty sure If people know my website exists I would get some traffic on my website. The tricky part of course is obtaining traffic, so anyone has some ideas for me or anyone els who is dealing with the same issue?:angel:
    2 days? I think you need to realize it takes time to even get your site indexed for the first time, and I don't think that you can expect your blog to get into the first page results right away.

Have you submitted the site to Google yet? Have you signed up for Google Analytics and put the code on your pages? Do you have a robots.txt file? Do you have an XMl sitemap? Have you got your keywords spread throughout your page titles, your metatags, your headers and your content? While these are just a few of the things you need to do, they will help you to get noticed by Google.

There's a lot of other stuff you have to do, and Google is by no means the only search you should be thinking about, but that's a start.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You're partly right. If people know your website exists, and if people think it's not going to suck (that's pretty important...hence the bolding), they'll visit it.

But let's take the advice you've given so far and improve upon it, because you really haven't been given much.

JayOne: you can take the Google Keywords lookup idea (the one good thing he said) and either ignore the rest of it or apply a different context/interpretation to it. If you're looking for the Google Adwords keyword lookup tool, here it is (you're welcome!) That's the one useful tip he gave you.

The rest of it is the complete and utter mindless ad nauseam drivel every so-called internet marketing expert repeats because a series of self-anointed experts and shills for the latest third-party $19.95 rocket ride to #1 guaranteed ranking (not a guarantee) said so, and no one in the industry has the brains and/or the balls to question. But let's break it down, shall we?
    You need to get your page ranking on page one in search engines.
    "Sort of." What you're trying to do is get at least one page on your site to receive referral traffic from search engines for as many phrases as people will search for as often as you can get them to click. This is not the same as "ranking on page one" for a term, since the results you're presented with can be very different from the results I'm presented with, which in turn can be different than the results everyone else is presented with. There are several reasons why different rankings occur. To list a few:

• Geolocation (i.e. where you're at)
    • Different datacentres
    • Personalization of search results
    • Time of day/day of week has been mentioned

There are several others, but these four alone should give you the idea. There are usually commonalities among the results in general, but this is not a hard and fast rule.

As far as page writing, JayOne more or less got it, but he forgot one thing...if you want to include a keyphrase, that's fine, but make sure that you're writing the keyphrase in ways that still read organically. For example, if you're going to write a page about your logo design company in Dallas, putting "Logo Design Dallas" in your header, while being "SEO-friendly", sounds horrible and will drive away the vast majority of the traffic you gain. So make sure that whatever you write sounds like it was written by an actual human being and not an SEO tool.

The whole backlinks thing...typical brainless marketer schoolyard thinking. The facts are somewhat straight, but the point is completely missed. Never, never, ever try to acquire links for what are perceived to be SEO reasons. Besides the fact that they're not SEO (since you can't optimize what you can't control), the idea of "SEO backlinks" is actually extra effort when you stop and analyze it.

What's the point of acquiring an "SEO backlink"? To increase your search engine ranking...or to put it more accurately using the explanation above, to receive referral traffic from search engines. So what you're effectively doing is you're going out and acquiring a link that you want a search engine to pick up on so that it can be added to the big list of inbound links you hope search engines will find and give you credit for (not all links count) so that your search engine ranking goes up so that you see traffic increase. Seems like a lot of things beyond your control need to happen, doesn't it?

Now, here's what makes more sense...telling the right people about your site and showing them the link as part of say a conversation or a forum signature or some other form of participation whereby you're either marketing or at least doing some goodwill work. Why does this make sense?

1) You can directly track the traffic from the link, which is the same traffic you're trying to get indirectly from search engines in the first place.

2) You diversify your traffic sources and lessen your dependence on a singular source of traffic that you ultimately have no real control over anyway. It's also something Google employees endorse.

3) A lot of the "SEO backlink sources" (article farms, directories, etc.) have been devalued. That doesn't mean you'll suffer a penalty if you end up getting inbound links from them...search engines have long since realized the manipulability and ease with which low-grade links can be acquired for "negative reputation" reasons. It just means that a lot of the links you get won't do you any good based on your primary objective.

4) Some of the links that send you traffic can have positive effects on search as well. So you get the direct and the indirect benefit.

This is the basis of SEO and its one of the only ways to get natural, targeted, traffic without paying.

I do this on a daily basis as I work in Internet Marketing. If you have any questions let me know.
    No...it's a bastardized version of the definition of SEO brought to us by the aforementioned self-proclaimed experts selling faith healing ideas to those who need to believe.

By the way, people who capitalize either their job title or the industry they work in are usually trying to make themselves appear more important and knowledgeable than they are. The ones with the real knowledge don't need to do that...it's just pretentious.

A Space Place Storage: clearly didn't read your post, so I'm not going there.

Mare actually gave you good advice for the most part. The one thing that she missed on is that you don't need to submit to Google. Google is miles ahead of the game when it comes to finding sites, and can find them on occasion before you're ready to launch them (I've had this happen about half a dozen times now). There's nothing cooler and more frightening than seeing referral traffic to a site under construction and having to scramble on the fly to complete it for launch because you forgot your robots.txt file. Yes, there are certain types of links that, once acquired, can lead to faster indexing. If you build a site well enough, though, you'll generally acquire those organically or with a great deal of ease.

So now that you have all of this information, here's what it comes down to:

1) Having content that's both unique and useful. Without this, any traffic generation exercises are just a waste of time in the end.

2) Having a half-decent layout. It doesn't have to be a work of art. It just has to be "good enough for the majority". People spend way too much time on this aspect on occasion, and while it's important, it's not the be-all and end-all.

3) Understanding your target audience and catering a marketing plan to attract them and give them something they want. Two days worth of blog posts probably isn't going to cut it.

4) Patience. You're not going to see millions of visitors overnight unless you catch lightning in a bottle. You just won't. There are those out there that will tell you that you can and that they have more times than Lindsay Lohan has been in rehab, but it's not true. Have a long-term focus and a long-term, steady growth goal in mind for your site. Don't think short-term.

Is it what you wanted to hear? No. But it's also the reality of your situation.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 223680
    Mare actually gave you good advice for the most part. The one thing that she missed on is that you don't need to submit to Google. Google is miles ahead of the game when it comes to finding sites, and can find them on occasion before you're ready to launch them (I've had this happen about half a dozen times now). There's nothing cooler and more frightening than seeing referral traffic to a site under construction and having to scramble on the fly to complete it for launch because you forgot your robots.txt file. Yes, there are certain types of links that, once acquired, can lead to faster indexing. If you build a site well enough, though, you'll generally acquire those organically or with a great deal of ease.
    Well, I knew if you were lurking, you'd put me in my place - but it's so damn good to have you back - and you're so RIGHT as usual - I can hardly object to you correcting me on that!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    @TheGAME1264.. wow... solid response, I only got about halfway through bc I'm in a spot I cant really spend too much time looking but when I get in tonight I'd like to finish it.. how long have you been dealing with SEO and whatnot?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Over 10 years. Long enough to know that most of it online, as is the case with most things related to design/development online, is either a needle of truth in a haystack of garbage or just flat-out crap. It really is pretty common sense stuff when you stop paying attention to the hype and schtick.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 223791
    Over 10 years. Long enough to know that most of it online, as is the case with most things related to design/development online, is either a needle of truth in a haystack of garbage or just flat-out crap. It really is pretty common sense stuff when you stop paying attention to the hype and schtick.
    Calling my advice nonsense was wrong. I briefly, and quickly, explained as much as possible without making a huge response. The OP can go off and research what I said.

I make consistent revenue on a daily basis and have done for the past 2 years from my sites. My methods for getting to page one on Google work for me, so I continue with them. Calling my knowledge nonsense when it clearly works for me and pay my mortgage is stupid.

I know web developers that have been in the game 8 years. Are they experts? No, their markup is poor. Just because you've been in the game 10 years don't mean you know current strategies. Google changes constantly, the Panda update for example.

I use a number of tools to aid with SEO including:
    • SENukeX
    • Article Marketing Robot
    • Social Bookmarking Daemon
    • Keyword Research Pro
    • xRumer

Research what those tools are used for. Everything I said above will make sense. SENukeX cost me 1800 for lifetime license ... I'll give you a screenshot of it. I suggest you research before you speak garbage and attempt to put people down because you've been in the game 10 years in the game. Get over yourself. I've been in the Internet Marketing game 2 years, and I can pretty much say I made more than you last year 10 fold. Hows that for a kick in the balls?

Here the screenshot actually ...

An idiot don't buy software that costs so much for no reason!

I can target keywords that get 200,000 searches a month and rank for them on page one over a few months.

Join Warrior Forums and tell them what I said is garbage. They will laugh you out the forum.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads