Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Okay, I'll now admit it. Windows sucks. Tomorrow I will be installing Ubuntu. I like Dream Weaver. But I can change. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Honestly, just use a plain text editor. I've never seen the point in Dreamweaver. It has some nice helpful hints, but spend some time in a plain text editor and you won't need those hints.

I use TextMate on OSX which is a text editor for developers. I don't know the alternative on Linux though.

Sorry I do honestly advise the use of a text editor over an IDE for web development though. Makes you a stronger coder.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    From what I've seen there are very few wysiwyg web editors for Linux ... Closest is probably seamonkey , but it compares to the old Netscape composer wysiwyg editor. Limited at best.

For non wysiwyg editors Komodo, bluefish, ecllipse all look decent. I think notepad++ also has a port for Linux if all you want is a basic text editor

Member #
    I have never used Dreamweaver, but I use Ubuntu, and I use the WYSIWYG web editor Kompozer for my webpages. I don't know how it compares to Dreamweaver, but I think it's pretty good.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    I like Dw, although it can be problematic on Windows machines (not responding issues and stuff like that). But if you really do want to get proficient with web design then learning code and css the hard way is the best way. In the end, you'll be more apt to spot coding errors that are sometimes generated by IDE's. Check out http://www.w3schools.com/ and participate in the tutorials.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Been running DW on windows since version 2.0 never had a response issue, but then again I don't build or buy entry level machines.

Komposer for Linux is comparable to netscape composer from Netscape ver 4.7 to give you a sense of comparison. No comparison to DW.

If you are just learning HTML CSS , you should really focus on the code, much easier than it looks.

Wysiwyg editors are generally for those that don't what to or have to understand code, and are satisfied with the output. Generally speaking, from what I've seen, you have to spend more time learning how to make the wysiwyg editors do what you want, than it would take to learn the code to do the same thing.

Remove Ads