Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Should I use joomla or Concrete5 or what? Can I charge while doing work through these, and are they the best way to go for clients who want to edit their own stuff???

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Also, I am assuming these are all free and have to be used with certain servers? correct???

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    [S]I think Concrete5 is pay[/S] Disregard, I looked it up. Anyhow, you may charge to design templates or set these up. You can't, however, charge for the software itself. A CMS is a great way for clients to edit their own sites. Most require PHP and MySQL, but some are built on ASP, or other server-side languages. Still, others don't use a database, but write to other, usually XML-based files directly on the server. I like Joomla, but I find more most applications it's too much, even though I have built incredibly simple sites on it before. Wordpress is another I like, because it's easy to template and easy for the client to use. Many use another called Drupal, which I've never used myself. Whitehouse.gov is built on it.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 223783
    [S]I think Concrete5 is pay[/S] Disregard, I looked it up. Anyhow, you may charge to design templates or set these up. You can't, however, charge for the software itself. A CMS is a great way for clients to edit their own sites. Most require PHP and MySQL, but some are built on ASP, or other server-side languages. Still, others don't use a database, but write to other, usually XML-based files directly on the server. I like Joomla, but I find more most applications it's too much, even though I have built incredibly simple sites on it before. Wordpress is another I like, because it's easy to template and easy for the client to use. Many use another called Drupal, which I've never used myself. Whitehouse.gov is built on it.
    Great advice. I just have some ppl wanting sites. One wants to update his own photos for his art shop and another owns a car lot. He is wanting to update cars himself. CMS a good way to go on this?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    And the only thing i need is a fast, cheap, and easy way to give a client an admin page (or any way at all) to upload their own images. I really only need one or two pages. I do not care about templates or anything like that at all. I plan on doing all HTML, CSS, JS, etc. myself. I just do not want to build the admin page from the ground up myself. The clients couldn't pay for that to really be worth my time at all.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Consider CushyCMS or FreeCMS
    naynay447 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 223915
    Consider CushyCMS or FreeCMS
    ...Wow CushyCMS is great. Really appreciate this

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    what about domain names, tho. Does the site have to have their name involved or does having your own domain require paying? Can you host elsewhere?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    "Use your own domain name
    For example. cms.yoursite.com, or pick a subdomain of our clienteditor.com domain, e.g. yoursite.clienteditor.com"
    That line is confusing

Remove Ads