Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    I found two websites that's copying my text content. How do I report them?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If they're both based in the States, you need to file a DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) complaint. Basically, a DMCA complaint is a legal document that states, upon penalty of perjury, that you own the copyright to the text content and that it was stolen. The key to a DMCA filing is that you're not just whining and saying "I had it first"...you're saying "I am willing to be arrested and tried if you can prove that I'm lying", so it carries much more weight.

You can file it against the site's host, but I'd also recommend having a look at this list of DMCA contacts and filing with at least the search engines.

If you're stuck, the owner of the site (Jonathan Bailey) is a really nice guy and he'll help you file whatever you need. All he wants in return is people to donate to his site (which I've given $50 to myself...and I don't donate to anything). I'm not sure where he hid the donation link, but if you want to give him a little something, I know he's got a PayPal account.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 223821
    If they're both based in the States, you need to file a DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) complaint. Basically, a DMCA complaint is a legal document that states, upon penalty of perjury, that you own the copyright to the text content and that it was stolen. The key to a DMCA filing is that you're not just whining and saying "I had it first"...you're saying "I am willing to be arrested and tried if you can prove that I'm lying", so it carries much more weight.

You can file it against the site's host, but I'd also recommend having a look at this list of DMCA contacts and filing with at least the search engines.

If you're stuck, the owner of the site (Jonathan Bailey) is a really nice guy and he'll help you file whatever you need. All he wants in return is people to donate to his site (which I've given $50 to myself...and I don't donate to anything). I'm not sure where he hid the donation link, but if you want to give him a little something, I know he's got a PayPal account.
    Nice! But Unfortunately there in India I believe would that still work ?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That I'm not sure of. As far as I know, the DMCA is only a US law. You can certainly give it a shot and there wouldn't be any harm in that, but on the other hand I wouldn't necessarily expect results from anyone other than say search engines.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Do you think those sites are copying by a human, or by a script of some kind?
    Maybe you can insert text in there about those other sites plagiarizing your content.
    They'll copy it and that will appear on their own site. Those site owners may not
    even notice your flaming message until their own readers have seen it a few times.
    Stick it to em real good.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I've done that for with some well-placed hidden anti-copyright text before. Works once in a while, but it generally doesn't go over that well. Usually the sites themselves suck so badly that they have to copy text to improve the quality of their work, which means that people generally don't see the copied info anyway.

Remove Ads