Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi peoples,

I am getting more and more confident with my use of css and xhtml to develop websites and am now at the stage of offering small voluntary orgs if they would like me to help revamp their site. It gives me practise and at least I can be of some use.

As these people will want to be able to add/change their own content even if it is just changing the about me section or contact details. So the first question is, do all web designers use CMS of one type or another?

I am beginning to play with various different CMS but I do not want to lose the skills I have built up in creating .css and html. Any advice of where I go next in my next stage of development. My question might be stating the obvious but I want to be able to create bespoke web sites using css and html.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You won't. Most, if not all, CMSes output XHTML and CSS. The only thing that will happen is that you'll gain some knowledge...ideally, a server-side programming language.

I know it's a one-line answer, but in this case, it's the answer.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I am still getting my head around incorporating html into themes for CMS. I see lots of tutorials to change PSD into html for example but nothing explaining how these are then linked into CMS, as the sites include blogs and clients will want to customize.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's because it's CMS-specific. Some CMSes allow you to edit a chunk of HTML for your header and footer (e.g. WordPress). Some require the editing of template files (e.g.VP-ASP). Some require a combination of template editing and XML (e.g. Magento).

You won't find a straight answer to your question until you can settle upon a CMS (or build one) to do what you want.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Using or creating a CMS is not only what everybody does, it's essential in today's market. As TheGame stated all that will happen is you gaining knowledge, specifically in server-side scripting/programming.

Your post said "moving on from xhtml and css" so I'm assuming you are looking for new areas to practice. If you are not familiar with it check out javascript. It's another essential tool for any decent web developer. If you are new to scripting languages like JS it'll be a new field for you to learn for years and years to come. I do suggest however getting a firm grasp on the fundamentals of javascript and then learning jQuery. It's more-or-less a shorthand for javascript. While it's amazing how quickly you can accomplish complicated JS functionality, it does require a pretty firm understanding of JS itself and programming/scripting syntax and processes.

Anyway hope this helps. Good luck!

Remove Ads