Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,

I have no experience in web designing. I am coming to you guys for some advice. If I want to create a website similar to this website zocdoc.com what would be the best way to do so? Should I find freelance developers and designers to work on my project? If so, should I start with using freelancers from scriptlance.com?

Basically, I would like my website to function similar to Zocdoc.com. When a visitor comes to my website they can filter our their search criteria by selecting certain categories to narrow down their search. Upon displaying the results, it will show profiles from users that sign up for an account on my website. Sort of like a directory, where it narrows down to specific fields the visitor selects.

How much would a project to create a website like that be? Thank you for your help!

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Do you have an existing website yet?
    If not, you'll first need to subscribe to a webhost, and also register a domain name.

This will require PHP and MySQL (for that database).
    Not sure how your current site is set-up, or what your skills are.

It sounds like you need a freelancer? You could try in the Marketing section of this forum too.

Member #
    Yes, I have a domain and website right now. It is currently just a blog and I'm looking to have it redesign with the new idea and remove the blog.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I'll say right now that it will be very hard to install/program a new site
    while your blog is in place. I recommend that you subscribe to a new
    webhost account (with the same webhost), but not a domain name.

Have the programmer create the new site in the new account and use
    the "webhost/default account name" to view the site online. When the
    site is complete and tested, you simply point your existing domain name
    to the new site, and let the old host account expire and go away. Or you
    can just keep it for experimenting.

The key to really getting your project running is to create a complete
    specification on what your new site will be doing, and the requirements
    for data (users, businesses, locations, etc.) A programmer will not qive
    you a quote without knowing your "business plan", "specifications", and
    knowing that you have a tangible goal.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You don't want to remove the blog if you can avoid it, assuming you have unique and useful content in there. You can 301 the old pages to the new ones, but keep the content. More content = more entry points to your site.

As far as your idea goes, you don't necessarily need PHP/MySQL, but any database and server-side programming language could do. The one thing I'd advise against is "doing something similar to someone else", unless you mean conceptually. If you're talking about taking a site like zocdoc.com and making another doctor referral site, you probably won't see an ROI that would justify your efforts.

As far as cost goes...depends on what features you want, and a good designer/developer will be able to take your ideas, suggest his/her own, and come up with something you both can live with. It also depends on layout (do you need one, or will the existing one work)? It also depends on after-development support and addition of features. In other words, you're not going to find a budget as such. The one thing I'd suggest is to find a developer on oDesk. You can use their hourly rate feature in conjunction with # of hours per week to see their work, make sure they're on point, and stay focused.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    So for a site similiar to zocdoc.com, what content management system is good to use for it? If I was to have a developer make a site similar can I use a content manager system such as expression engine?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Anything could be. It's a matter of what works for you. The best answer would be a customized solution, simply because a good developer will build it without of the excess garbage, though.

I'm unfamiliar with Expression Engine, although from what I can gather it's got quite the hype machine associated with it.

Again, though, I'm wondering what you mean by "similar to zocdoc.com". If you mean a clone/knockoff site, they usually fail and a good developer will know this and advise. So before you go any further, is this a medical industry type of site, or a site with similar features for a different industry?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads