Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    hey all... new here but I am trying to do some research and opinions on the best way to go about publishing an online magazine on my website.

First let me explain - I am not a web designer or pro at most of the web language - I run a website for my community which is a non-profit club/community and my extent of web knowledge is good 'ole basic HTML and some copied scripts of java for a random slideshow...

that all said, our community runs a monthly newsletter and in turn, a PDF is created and I post a link to a downloadable version on the website. Very simple but now, things are starting to go in a new direction as costs for print and mail are going up and since we are non-profit digital publication might be the best way to go.
    I've done some reading on Flip Book and also PDF magazine but I am still unsure of what the best way to go is.

The newsletter is about 4 or more pages so it's rather on the small side page wise
    In addition to digital publication, we'd also like to be able to have a reader be able to print from the website
    My other question was, does publisher have a print to web feature, does anyone here know?

Thanks if anyone could help me out on this - thanks!!!

Tony D.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    If it were me doing this, I would use WordPress. I would purchase a professional
    theme from a company like this: http://www.gabfirethemes.com/category/themes/

Look at the news, newspaper, magazine type of themes ... they are spectacular.

Now ... if someone wants to print, you have a script that pulls the latest articles and
    creates a PDF from that. I don't know why anyone would really need a printed version.
    You can also use RSS features, and also send articles to users' Kindles or Nooks.

Finally, the WordPress system is powerful, flexible, and allows any number of authors
    to enter articles, photos, etc. That's the way I would do it.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The best thing about PDF is the fact that your design and all the elements stay the same no matter what OS, version, browser the user is running.

The only real issue you may run into is the reader software, not everyone has the reader installed or will they want to install something.

What I have seen some others do with this is once the PDF IS created, they export the contents of the PDF into PNG files, so those that don't have the reader installed can still view and print the newsletter pretty much as it was designed.

As for printing from the web, if it's a PDF, there is a print API already installed in the reader. Unless you have turned on security to disable printing, the users will be able to print the PDF. If you put all of the exported images into 1 HTML, php, or asp file ( depending on your host ), then there is a JavaScript onload event that can be called to get the print API to load allowing the user to select a printer.

If you are already creating PDF's , then there really is not a whole lot more needed to accomplish what you were asking for.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If you're talking about MS Publisher, it's OK for offline stuff, but it is probably one of the all time worst web publishing ( I use the term loosely ) tools. If your using it for laying out your PDF's , it's probably ok...

DoPDF is a free PDF printer that allows you to print pretty much anything into a PDF. To export the PDF as images ( as mentioned above ), you'll need a little something better suited for that.

Remove Ads