Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hello,
    I am new to web design. I created a site in dreamweaver. The top has a company flash banner. The tabs all have links to other pages. In dreamweaver. 2 questions.
    1. When I previewed the home page in Firefox™ the flashbanner had a gap in between the bottom of the space and the slice immediatly below it. Funny thing is there is no gap on opera, chrome and safari. Does anyone know why and how i can fix this???
    2. Not an important question but, I want to make sure the pages are all linked together once on the host like they are locally. I couldnt figure out how to do the whole upload FTP thing with Dreamweaver so i did it with Filezilla, which is what GoDaddy recommended anyways. Plus its more visual so easier for my brain to wrap my head around. Anyways,,, If I just drag and drop the entire root folder into host will the links still link together?
    What about excess stuff in my assets folder? Is that a problem?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Especially the whole firefox issue. :banghead:

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If your links are relative links (meaning of the form <a href="thispage.html">) then you'll be fine.

If your links are absolute links and a lot of what Dr*amw*av*r outputs (meaning of the form <a href="C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\This Is My Site\thispage.html">} then you're going to have problems.

Excess stuff is generally not a good thing, but it's also generally not an issue either unless you're using it and it collides somehow with other stuff (e.g. two jQuery versions).

As far as your gap goes, what you'll have to do is upload it and in this case, provide a hyperlink so that we can see what you're talking about. The problem with solving an issue like the one you've described is that there about a million possible things that could go wrong. So upload it and show us where it is (we normally don't allow links, but in this case, we need to).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Ok Thanks so much for the quick response. I am uploading now but will take a sec cuz im going through my phones mobile hotspot. Please stay posted. :bounce:

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for the patience
    Dont know if the links work now I just uploaded the necessary files so you can see what Im talking about
    try opening it in chrome or any other browser then open it in firefox

I guess this is what I get for not knowing a lick of HTML

Also if you have any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated:dance:

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    This is crazyness. Now I notice that chrome has fitting problems with the slices around the tabs on the left, but opera displays it pretty much perfect. Except the flash isnt animated but im assuming its because of my slow connection:stomp:

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Did I miss it or is there no link?
    it would be extremely helpful if we had a link to the site so we could take a look...
    Dreamwesver and flash: 2 disasters combined, lol!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EdMarks, post: 225037
    Thanks for the patience
    Dont know if the links work now I just uploaded the necessary files so you can see what Im talking about
    try opening it in chrome or any other browser then open it in firefox

I guess this is what I get for not knowing a lick of HTML

Also if you have any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated:dance:
    Post the links so we can check it out!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Oh now you need a link.. what kind of web guy are you. Kidding.
    Here sorry about that
    http://www.marigro.com/sitedreamweav.../homepage.html

Why whats wrong with Dreamweaver. ive heard things about flash but not much about dreamweaver. Im assuming you know what your doing (html). I obviously dont, is there another option for a noob?
    Im working on code but in the meantime.....

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Another thing I noticed is its kinda big. But I just used the same dimensions that someone else from that company used for another one of their sites. www.circleofstars.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's a non-Flash site. So the dimensions you see may be different than the dimensions others see.

The big issue with Dr*amw*av*r is that it creates bloated, inefficient, incorrect code and promotes bad habits. The best thing you can do is learn how to code things early on and then worry about the graphic stuff after (foundation, then fill in.)

In your case, you're also using all images. Images aren't meant to be resized. You need to use text for text...and images for images. That right there is your issue.
    EdMarks likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads