Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey I have a friend that wanted me to create a website for him for his clothing line. He gave me a website that is he would like it similar too "shopecko.com". My thing is I have never created a e-commerce/shopping cart website and wanted to get a few pointers from you guys. Would it be best to just go with a template/cms system or should I try and create it from scratch. I would rather have it pretty simple and not have to struggle designing it from scratch. Can you recommend any good e-cart websites?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I've used several and they've all taken me longer to customize them than it would to create them from scratch. They're pretty brutal. Magento, D-oh'-S-commerce, VP-ASP, CubeCart, X-Cart, and a few others I've forgotten...had to use them at various points and every time, I'd rather comb my hair with a barbed-wire baseball bat than go through that again.

I also wouldn't recommend going with a prebuilt cart for the simple reason that most of them contain at least some source code that is readily available to anyone at any time for any reason...especially those who would have malicious intent. So you're going to have to customize your code just to prevent that from happening anyway. You might as well do it yourself at that point.

So to answer your question, I can't personally.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    92 times
    The big open source ones used are:

From a development point of view Magento is better - though I think OpenCart is quite friendly and easy to use. But either of these I'd highly recommend, and both have a big community backing which is always good.
    As for building your own - it's not as difficult as people think for a basic e-comm website, and it's quite good to learn some web scripting as it can introduce you to most of the things you'd want to use.
    If you're into ASP.NET then my favourite I've come across is:

It's pretty straightforward again - but making an e-commerce website in .NET is pretty easy anyway!
    With any of these the expectation is that you should download, install, theme and content then that should be it. But of course just post on here if you have any problems.
    Mark Gannaway Software Developer

Recent Experiments
    - Backpropogation Neural Network language solving (http://ann.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Animated image to ASCII (http://google.ganners.co.uk/)
    - 3D Paper Characters (http://cybergame.ganners.co.uk/)
    - Anagram solving (http://roflol.co.uk/)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The biggest issue of developing one yourself having not done one before is the payment integration.

If you really want to build one, I'd suggest downloading one or several of the opensource ones, break it down so you can see how the payment transactions are done. Because of the legal ramifications involved in handling peoples financial information, you may want to check with your friend to see if they already have a merchant account, many already have API's and support in integrating shopping cart software with their systems.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What if you just want to do paypal? I just spoke with a client who needs this, but is fine with pure paypal. I do not want to develop it myself b/c of the security and everything. Ideas?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Then you can either build a simple cart (which is probably what your client is after) and pass the totals, etc. to Paypal.

Alternatively, a cart like Magento does come with a PayPal module. I just wouldn't recommend it if you're anything other than an expert with PHP. I'm a hack with PHP and it took me forever to customize that thing.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    https://merchant.paypal.com/cgi-bin/...dard&nav=2.1.0

I was looking into paypal...for the most part, I don't even see the need for me to actually build a cart. It appears they do it all. Am I correct, or do I still need a cart. If so...PHP/mySQL, right? Isn't that all you need for a cart? And would I still need ssl when purchasing hosting?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You wouldn't need an SSL, unless you have sensitive customer information that you're keeping. If you're not keeping things like credit cards and that, you don't have to. It's not a bad idea anyway, just because you have a cart, but it's not a must-have because PayPal encrypts and stores any credit card/sensitive info.

You can use PHP/MySQL, or any other server-side language and web database you want.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Okay, this is all really helping. Is there not a way to take one of these carts and integrate into an existing site, tho? It seems like on opencart, you must use one of their themes, and I do not want to place a frame in to make it look like the site I have (I don't want templates, and I do the designs myself). It is looking more and more like paypal is just making a button, and bringing in code (very easy). If it were just me...I'd go with paypal, but I have an issue; This client wants to maintain all this themselves. Any advice on a cart that allows not only integrability, but also content management?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This is pretty well why I DIY them. You run into one cart, you have a problem with themes. You run into another cart or hosted solution like Amazon Webstore, you can't customize a damn thing and it takes the helpdesk a month to get back to you (I mean quite literally a month when I say that). You run into Magento and you spend hours on what should take minutes to figure out. You run into Cubecart and the code is a mess.

By the time you're done trying to find something that could work, you're better off just doing it yourself and doing it right in the first place...unless you're paid by the hour and you hate your boss/client, in which case go ahead and waste time trying to figure it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads