Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Zak
    Member #
    I recently checked out Themeforest.com and I really wanted to know how to start creating website templates for this site. You can make templates for wordpress, joomla, blogger, or just plain site templates and etc. I was just wondering if I can use HTML5, CSS3 and javascript to make these kinds of templates.

Are there any other requirements?

How do I get started if I don't know how to create website templates for people to use? Any tutorials out there that teach using html5 and not xhtml?

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The thing about templates, if you code to the newest standards without knowing or understanding them, you are just asking for a major let down.

Html5 and CSS3 are both "not completely" supported by all the browsers, so not only knowing what doesn't work, you will need to know what doesn't work in each browser and code in something as a fallback.

I know this might be an obvious statement to many, but if you're going to create templates, you'll need all the browsers "for testing", as well as either a server setup for testing or a hosting account that you can upload your code to to "test" in each of these different configurations.

Since you really didn't go into your "skill level", this would be difficult for someone that is just starting out. As not only does it encompass design, but now you're looking at a lot of "server" stuff, and testing benchmarks.

If you build a template for WP, and publish it, and it doesn't work correctly in all browsers you'll quickly find that no one wants your templates. The peole that want and use templates ( especially paid templates ), expect them to just work everywhere.

Zak
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 225176
    The thing about templates, if you code to the newest standards without knowing or understanding them, you are just asking for a major let down.

Html5 and CSS3 are both "not completely" supported by all the browsers, so not only knowing what doesn't work, you will need to know what doesn't work in each browser and code in something as a fallback.

I know this might be an obvious statement to many, but if you're going to create templates, you'll need all the browsers "for testing", as well as either a server setup for testing or a hosting account that you can upload your code to to "test" in each of these different configurations.

Since you really didn't go into your "skill level", this would be difficult for someone that is just starting out. As not only does it encompass design, but now you're looking at a lot of "server" stuff, and testing benchmarks.

If you build a template for WP, and publish it, and it doesn't work correctly in all browsers you'll quickly find that no one wants your templates. The peole that want and use templates ( especially paid templates ), expect them to just work everywhere.

Yeah, I already know about that browser support stuff. I really just wanna know how I should get started in coding templates and dealing with user input and all that stuff included. How different are wordpress templates in code compared to a regular website template?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I think I'm going to start making some HTML5 sites and apps just to learn it.

It's coming and it will change a lot of things about the internet. I would stay
    away from WP templates for now, until WP releases a version that is HTML5.
    Who knows what their default template will look like? They may not even
    be templates (as we define them now).

I'm paying attention to HTML5, and I'm soaking-up as much info as I can.
    It's my personal opinion that we should also be using it and experimenting with it.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak, post: 225186
    Yeah, I already know about that browser support stuff. I really just wanna know how I should get started in coding templates and dealing with user input and all that stuff included. How different are wordpress templates in code compared to a regular website template?
    WordPress code is mainly PHP and MySQL for the core code. To create a theme in WP you need a framework and then you create a child theme based on that. A child theme can be as simple as a second CSS file with your colours etc, or as complex as you want to make it - a functions file, for example, to implement conditionals, or a bundle of plugins that are compatible with the rest of the theme...

I suggest you start by downloading a bunch of free themes, and taking them apart, studying the code, understanding the structure, reading as many tutorials on theme-building as you can, and then start creating your own.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    If you've been to themeforest, check out nettuts+, and search for wordpress, you will find a large amount of information or tutorials they have about theming Wordpress, also im sure you could _buy_ or _google_ the "Rockable Press" ebook on theming wordpress. They have a lot of information on that site, themeforest was created by the makers of the Tuts+ network. Nettuts+, Psdtuts+, and a mirad of others. Along with the envato marketplace.

Remove Ads