Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Here's a weird question:

http://www.fontshop.com/licenses/lin...dern_std_bold/

I can't tell whether that means the font can or cannot be used on a web page as an embedded font. The way that reads, I can't tell if "modify" refers to end user modification (which for the site I intend to use it on can't be done) or web developer modification (which means it can be done, because that's what I'm trying to do).

Any thoughts?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Holy cow. How would they ever enforce that 10,000 word license agreement?
    Use their fonts on your site. How will they know that the fonts were from them?
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's how I'm looking at it. I got the font legit, I'm using it legit. Font Squirrel was okay with it, too.

Besides, almost no one is going to see this site. It's a site that targets the booming metropolis of Guelph, Ontario. I kid you not, they used to have a law that stated that you couldn't take a leak there (not sure if they still do).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    It looks to me like they are covering their butts to protect themselves from the original authors
    and creators of the fonts themselves. This would be similar to a website that sells copyrighted
    sheet music. They would have some kind of agreement with the owners of the sheet music,
    that a TOS (terms of service) page be shown, and a portion of the sales go to the owners.

They know that people will download the content and use it, perhaps many times, and even
    copy it, and finally ... distribute it ... at which point, in my opinion crosses the line.

I would think the agreement would be a simple and easy to understand TOS, like ...
    Purchase this, make a safe personal copy, use it as you wish, do not distribute to others.

To me, that is reasonable and fair, to both the author and the user.

Remove Ads