Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Hi Guys,

Just had an idea and thought I'd throw it out here for some feedback. I'd like to spend my free time helping others learn how to better their practices with issues such as semantic HTML and CSS, design techniques, marketing strategies, business development, etc. Just wondering if you all think this is a hit or miss idea?

I was thinking of either a chat room lecture forum or a youtube series. Would anyone here follow and/or like to contribute some of their lessons as well? Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Immediately after posting I saw the Articles section of this site...probably the best area to practice this? I think I'll write an article right away. Semantic HTML seems to be a good fit for a start but I'm definitely up for suggestions.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I'll look forward to reading your article - will it be HTML5 or more general than that? I guess I'll see when it's posted!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Awesome! I think these forums are a great place to start, we get a lot of visitors, and many are new.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 225841
    I'll look forward to reading your article - will it be HTML5 or more general than that? I guess I'll see when it's posted!
    I think I'll stay away from HTML5 as I don't even write in it entirely right now...until it gets the full support it deserves it's probably best to keep my articles down to 4. Perhaps I'll do a pros and cons 4 vs 5 and what you can/should use article as an informational piece later on.

I am going to start these very shortly. Work just brought me to Australia, just landed yesterday so I'm a bit off schedule....I'll post information about the articles when I get the first one done in this thread.

Thanks for support! Hope to have one up in the next few days.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    With the HTML5 Shim, you can use most of the new tags in pretty much any browser. You just can't use canvas, audio and video.

Honestly, 5 is a lot like XHTML with some new tags. For example, instead of wrapping your navigation in something like: <div id="nav"></div>, you can just do: <nav></nav>. It makes a lot more sense. Not to mention, with tags that actually describe what they contain, you reduce the amount of specificity needed to select something in your CSS.

I've been using it exclusively for about 9 months now, and I doubt I'll ever use XHTML again for anything.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Sorry, I should have said EXCLUSIVE use of HTML5 is not preferred. It has been suggested by Adobe, as well as W3C, that some functionality including but not limited to new input forms, new block-level elements (ie: section/article), and others are not recommended at this time.

HTML5 offers some cool new features with input fields but some of them (ie: sliders and/or percentage graphs) haven't fully been integrated. The degradation is the hardest part really...while all up-to-date browsers fully support HTML5, it's projected that the majority of internet users won't be up-to-date until late 2012.

Briefly touching on the long-running section-article debate...both tags are being interpreted in many different ways. Google has actually stated they haven't finalized a decision on how to crawl/interpret these tags in any differential and meaningful way. The W3C has also stated the tags may be changed due to confusion. So while building and article/section layout probably won't be detrimental in the future as far as layout is concerned...I'd HATE to write a blog engine or any page layouts with the section/article convention to find I did it backwards when it changes...reducing SEO points and having to redo however many projects were reliant on them.

There's actually a LOT of reasons not to use HTML5 exclusively. But it's not something to fear, persay...it just needs to be used with a bit of caution at the moment. Maybe I'll strengthen my research with some confirming quotes and links and do this article first as it really is a hot topic.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Probably longer than that. Windows XP is a long way from being retired as an OS, which means that IE7/8 will still retain quite a bit of dominance.

I'm personally holding off for another year or so before I delve into 5.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    http://w3schools.com/html5/html5_form_input_types.asp
    http://w3schools.com/html5/html5_form_elements.asp
    http://w3schools.com/html5/html5_form_attributes.asp

Here are a few links forthose of you currently using HTML5; mainly the browser support sections of each.

Also, I promise to post the start of my series shortly! Work's got me tied down to the desk right now but they are coming!

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I've posted the first part to my Semantic Code article here:

http://www.webdesignforums.net/threa...dvanced.35866/

Hope nobody minds the link...let me know if I'm being bad AM.

Remove Ads