Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Using themes

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    What do you think about a web design & development studio if they use someone else's theme which has been bought online?
    example. I have a web design studio, and my web site is using template that has been bought on themeforest?
    Owner of Visual Studio

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I recently got into it with someone on another forum about this. Pretty heated discussion.

IMHO, we should provide original work to our clients. More than that, if you can't be bothered to even personally design your own site, what does that say about your client work?

A lot of people will say, "the client won't know the difference". My answer to that is that you will, and it should bother you that you are presenting someone else's work as your own.

I could go on forever about it, but those are the Cliff Notes.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I have two design sites and two blog sites. For one of the design sites, it's hand-coded using some jQuery and PHP. On the other,I've done a kind of compromise - I use hand-coded pages for my site, again with jQuey and PHP, and have added a WP blog which I matched to the styling of the site. The two blog sites are straight out WP, one with a free theme and one with my own theme.

I do think that hand-coding your site is the way to go, and for me, since I need a completely bilingual site it was a necessity. I really can't take the time to hand-code a blog CMS, especially when WP is right there and perfect for what I need as a part of my site.

That said, I am currently toying with creating my own theme based on one of the frameworks and possibly re-doing the site that way.
    So I guess my position is this: If you are going to use WP as a basis for a site selling design skills, representing someone else's work as your own is not right, especially since the client's perception of your skills and decision to hire you will be based in large part on your site as a representation of what you have to offer.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads