Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am still new webdesign so whatever answer i get here will be over my head but will at-least get me started in the correct direction. What I am looking at doing is creating a website that allows users to pick from a pre-designed template and create there own sub-domain. I want it to be fully self contained so that I do not have to do anything when a new user logs in. forevermissed.com does exactly what I am looking at designing. So the questions are:

What programs are the easiest to use in the construction of something like this. I was told that the process of creating the websites is a different application so what would i need to use to accomplish that.

I do have an extensive computer background....just not in the programming aspect. I can usually stumble my way through anything if i can get shoved in the right direction. Thanks in advance the any responses.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You'll need a development language, CMS (content management system), and a way to get paid. PHP and mySQL should handle this (you need programming and database knowledge that is rather extensive). The CMS will be developed so your HTML/CSS designs can be filled in (It needs to be insanely easy so you aren't troubleshooting all day). And look into paypal's recurring payments (you make the button, they give you the code).

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Aaron ...
    I believe what you're planning to do is really a huge project. There will be extensive programming
    involved, and certainly it won't be "self functioning". In the least, you are going to have many clients
    asking about, or wishing for added features, things that don't work the way they want, and total
    melt-down if the server is down for any reason. Are you planning on running your own server?
    If not, you are at the total mercy of your shared webhost ... I can't even begin to describe that.

I'm not trying to be a "downer" about this. I think you are making a valiant effort to learn
    new things, and this WILL be a very big learning opportunity for you. I just am not sure if you
    realize what this project will entail.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.

Member #
    Nay nay.
    Thank you for the information. It was exactly what i was looking for! Now well see if I can manage to learn how to do this or hand over a large sum of money for someone else to do it!

Mlseim,
    You are definitely not a "downer"! I started this project as a joint venture with my father, who has absolutely no computer knowledge what-so-ever, so I knew I would either be paying someone to do this or learning a new career. I have built a few minor websites here and there but nothing of this magnitude. I started out with Joomla (which I had no previous knowledge of) hoping that I could manage with some of the add-on's and such that they have to offer but that didn't seem to be the case. Thank you for being straight forward about the complexity's that are laid before me. I have talked to a few web developers and all say the exact same as you. So I guess the question now is, do I pay to go back to school or pay that money for someone else to do this for me.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron duncan, post: 225943
    Nay nay.
    Thank you for the information. It was exactly what i was looking for! Now well see if I can manage to learn how to do this or hand over a large sum of money for someone else to do it!

Mlseim,
    You are definitely not a "downer"! I started this project as a joint venture with my father, who has absolutely no computer knowledge what-so-ever, so I knew I would either be paying someone to do this or learning a new career. I have built a few minor websites here and there but nothing of this magnitude. I started out with Joomla (which I had no previous knowledge of) hoping that I could manage with some of the add-on's and such that they have to offer but that didn't seem to be the case. Thank you for being straight forward about the complexity's that are laid before me. I have talked to a few web developers and all say the exact same as you. So I guess the question now is, do I pay to go back to school or pay that money for someone else to do this for me.
    It might be worth bringing down your horizons a little bit at the moment as you said yourself your really new to webdesign and you father doesn't have computer knowledge. I deal with Joomla based websites as well And I think, *with a lot of searching* there is a module to allow the user to change the look of their site... similar to twitter and myspace etc.

I suggest for the min to get a full understanding (and to train your father) in the art of webdevelopement. Only then you will see whether your process will be effective or not. Its always a good idea to research your avenue before getting a freelancer etc to work with you purely because there are some fake freelancers out there that can talk the talk but cant code the code..<-- like what Idid there?

mlseim is right though. This will be a huge project.

Hope this helps as well.

-Marc
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    As you've seen, it is a doable project, but what you are talking about is more than just web development, it also touches server management and security.

There are server management scripts out there, but most are lacking something and most require you to have control of the server. You won't find any hosting in a shared environment that will allow you to run most of the management scripts, and many of the dedicated servers will have restrictions.

That being said, then you move into server security, anytime you allow users to make changes via web page form submission, you open yourself and your server to injection scripts that hackers use to take control of servers with. Especially if it's all automated. Even some of the big boys, have someone monitoring new scripts to make sure that they behave properly, and aren't being abused. Once they are vetted, only then are they allowed to run unattended.

And all this is done by people that know what they are looking for and understand the risk.

If you've never run or managed a site that users can make changes expect a lot of sleepless nights especially if you're not that familiar with most of the server or security stuff. Nothing will drive clients away faster than the server not being available because of maintenance or downtime.

Which reminds me... Backup strategies ... Too big of a subject to go into here.. Only had my first cup of coffee...

Remove Ads