Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Getting Started

Member #
    Hi all, i am very new to building a website. Other than taking a class for web design in highschool (8 years ago) i have no knowledge of what im doing. Ive been looking around here and on other sites to find a good way to get started, i.e, what programs to use and what not. Im very good with learning computer stuff, im just not sure where i should start.

What i want is a business website where people can order and browse mailing services and other services in the printing/mailing industry. The first help site i started looking at was telling me i could get a professional website with photoshop and visual studios 2005(all that was needed was Master Pages?). Is this the best way to go for doing what i want? I know how to register a domain (godaddy.com) and to host it using a site like hostgator. But for actually making the site, i dont really know the best way to go at it. I couldnt find anywhere to download visual studio 2005, only a place to buy studio 2010 for $500+.. Is there a possible way to do everything i want without pay for expensive software?

If im not really being clear what i want i will show you all to a website that i kinda of want to model. This website kinda has a semi sloppy layout imo, but i want to make a website with the same capabilites. intouchtoday.com

So thanks to anyone who takes the time out of their day to help me out here. You can also email me at ellcrizzle@gmail.com. <3

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    It's most popular to use a PHP script like Joomla, Drupal, or WordPress ... things like that.
    With that, you find a theme layout you like, and then customize the heck out of it.

I only use notepad++ to edit everything by hand.
    Then I use FileZilla to transfer files back and forth from the website to computer.

Someone else I'm sure will give you more info on visual studio and photoshop.
    I'm not experienced with those.

Member #
    Ok thanks mlseim. Are there certain things that you can't do on a website made with wordpress? Do I even need PhotoShop or Visual Studios? That's what I'm not sure of. When I get home from work I will get a hold of Wordpress and check it out, thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    WordPress started out as a blogging system, but now, people have morphed
    it into more of a site CMS. Any WP theme you get won't have the graphics
    your probably want .. so if you can afford PhotoShop, and you are adept at it,
    then go for it.

Your webhost might have a button in your control panel that installs WP automatically.
    It starts out with an ugly WP default them.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Billy: if you drop that link one more time, you will be banned. This is the only warning you're going to get, too.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 226738
    Billy: if you drop that link one more time, you will be banned. This is the only warning you're going to get, too.
    Ok dear,
    Sorry for the botheration.
    Free website templates | Free mobile templates | Free joomla templates
    Webmasters & web designer can download web templates and use them in their own sites and for their customers.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Photoshop and VS both have very steep learning curves. VS not so much...but to be honest I didn't even know it had web dev capabilities outside of .net frameworks.

If you're new...you do not need these expensive programs. What you need is notepad (or notepad++ as mentioned above...and it is free), patience, and perseverance. Just because there are billions of websites out there doesn't mean design and development thereof is easy. Not to mention well over half of them are either useless, or just plain awful.

You'll want to start learning the very basics of scripting...something where the concepts and semantics may be a bit confusing for a while (depends on the person). I'll suggest googling "HTML Tutorials" and "CSS Tutorials" first. For a GREAT reference site visit http://w3schools.com/. W3C is the World Wide Web Consortium....our closest thing to a standardization committee and many large companies like Adobe and Google participate in it.

Go and learn the basics...create a lot of examples...and gain confidence in your skills. Then you should start on a real project.

If you'd like to elaborate on exactly what you're trying to do as an end result I might be able to offer a bit more advice. Anyway good luck.

Remove Ads