Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I lost my job about a year ago...company closed. So I decided to work on some thing that I love "Web Design". My question as the thread describes is a bump in the road I wish to succeed. Any suggestions will be helpful whether big or small. Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Your site <title>, <description> are important.
    The rest is all about content.

Get other sites to puts links to your site.
    Maybe pay for some ads (Google or whatever).

Tell us more about the business.

Member #
    Well for starters I always wanted to code it was passion of mine but I worked like a dog to pursue that dream. As fate would have it I am in the brinks of a new journey. I talked it over with wife and bingo...green light. I bought a domain name kingdomwebsitedesign.com but have only done one job since that and it was because it was relative. I started this but I am getting concerned for the cash flow is not as it should be so that's why I was wanting to know how to let a soar thumb stand out with the big fish and attract customers. This is different than driving a fork lift or micro managing and I would like to pursue this, thus, the reason for joining this site.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I don't want to be the "downer" on this one, but there are thousands of web designers and
    developers. It isn't just about designing anymore ... you need to be proficient at a ton of
    server-side scripting and databases (PHP, MySQL, possibly ASP.net). Along with JQuery,
    AJAX, and upcoming HTML5 (which is what everyone will want within the next 12 months).

Your only business will be from friends or relatives, unless you can offer something spectacular
    at a reasonable cost. With up-coming HTML5/CSS3, this is what you're competing against:
    http://101besthtml5sites.com/

For current XHTML/CSS sites, this is what you're competing against:
    http://graphicdesignjunction.com/201...-of-july-2011/

If you can provide a portfolio that demonstrates fully dynamic sites, with database access,
    ability to use with smart phones, iPad, iPod, and any mobile applications, you might be able
    to get good business.

That being said, if you are great at graphic design, you may want to sub-contract with a
    programmer and team-up on sites. There's a big difference between "design" and "development".
    You'll need both to be successful.

... and it might not hurt to have a fork-truck license as a back-up plan

Member #
    I have had a year to brush up on php and mysql as well as asp.net the business is not a problem ...is getting the clientel that's the trick.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm going to answer your question with two questions:

1) Who are you?
    2) More importantly, why should someone hiring you give a crap who you are? In other words, what makes you different?

If you can't answer the second question, it really doesn't matter whether you invest in Adwords or put up a website and tell all your friends and do all the rest of it...you're not going to find any web design customers. You need a hook. It's difficult to come up with, but if you can, you'll be fine. If you can't...well...you'll be a three-monther.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    [following is my personal opinion ... I don't claim to be an expert]
    My advice is to focus specifically on small-scale ....
    Smartphones, iPod, iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.
    Go right into HTML5/CSS3 and learn PHP/MySQL
    and all the javascripting (JQuery, AJAX) that you can.
    TheGame said it best .. "find a hook" ... or a "niche market".

And we're not trying to bash your ideas, your dreams, or your ego.
    You are passionate enough to learn it. Go for it.

Member #
    you guys do know what you are writing about so i will think of a hook. thanks guys . ill be praying for all of you in these end times.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    At least I've got one more year ... until Dec 21, 2012

Member #
    Yeap that's having a good spirit. you know what you guys are cool, not just anybody would be willing to help and God is going to bless you guys for that. Back to coding, which server side language is easier to learn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads