Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey guys,

I've recently started making webpages for people and I've come across a general request from some people.

Most of the people I talk to want to be able to update certain things themselves; such as adding or updating photos and/or having a message of the day box where they can update just a small portion of text for that day.

I recently bought an iMac and would like to use iWeb to create the webpages but I'm having a hard time understanding how or if it's even possible to incorporate what they're wanting to do using iWeb.

I know some people use WordPress but, personally, I feel like that takes away from the whole "I created a webpage for you" kind of feeling.

I apologize if this is a really newbish kind of question but I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I did have an idea the other morning but I don't know if it would work since I don't use Flickr, Photobucker, or Tumblr. I was wondering if you could embed an html snippet where the photos would show up on the website I'm creating but the user would be able to update them by going to the photobucker (for example) website and updating it that way.

Again, thanks in advance guys! Hoping to learn a lot more about this as I go along!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This will require knowledge of a server-side programming language if you want to do it yourself if you want to build an upload script. This means PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, or some other language like it. Not even sure if that's doable in iWeb.

Never used any of the photo upload sites (I don't like the idea of relinquishing control of IP like that), so I can't answer that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 226949
    This will require knowledge of a server-side programming language if you want to do it yourself if you want to build an upload script. This means PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, or some other language like it. Not even sure if that's doable in iWeb.

Never used any of the photo upload sites (I don't like the idea of relinquishing control of IP like that), so I can't answer that.
    I just got done reading about CMS's. Would you say that it would just be easier to use one of those, pending the clients needs?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Possibly, although as has been shown many times on here I'm no fan of standard CMSes. Again, though, it would depend on what your client wanted to do.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 226957
    Possibly, although as has been shown many times on here I'm no fan of standard CMSes. Again, though, it would depend on what your client wanted to do.
    Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to learn how to do things right the first time

Basically, an example of this would be that my tattoo artist mentioned that he'd like me to make him a basic website.

He wants 2 specific things on this site and that is a page dedicated to his artwork / page dedicated to his tattoos and then a message box on the homepage where he can let people know which shop (he works at 2 owned by the same guy) he is going to be at.

The kicker is he wants to be able to update his location and be able to add / update pictures himself.

EDIT: Thank you for replying too.

Remove Ads