Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Hello. It's been a long time since I posted on this website. I am currently working on a huge project, which is going to take me forever to complete, but I know I will be proud to declare as my first website that I put on the web. I am mostly focusing on the backend code of the website right now, but I needed to create a rough design to ensure that I have all the components I need for the visual part of the website, and see how everything is going to be put together. The attached photo is a design I made within InDesign, and I like to know what you guys think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I like it. It's so simple, it's beautiful. The only thing I'd consider is adding a visual cue that the list item you have selected is the one that is displaying. For example, the blue highlight color being the background of the definition.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I realise that I don't still have a homepage, and I think it's an important aspect to the website since it will be the most visited page. So I made another quick sketch in InDesign of what the homepage will look like once you are logged in. The spacing is not the best in the sketch, but will become more consistent when made into HTML.

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    The star sorta sticks out. Try removing its drop shadow, since everything else on the page is flat.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I haven't posted an update in a while, mostly because I've been working on the coding part to make the website actually work. Having zero knowledge on Javascript, it took hours of googling and looking through Stack Overflow threads to fix a single bug. I am bending jQuery to such a high degree that it is it's own project.

The attached file is screenshot of the actual HTML page. It does work on it's own two feet, and it really does search through a database. I have more ideas to make the dictionary even more cool, but I want to see what you guys think before even going further.

The size of the fonts are slightly different, and you will notice the "Wiki Index" button at the top, beside the login buttons. Other than that, it's nearly a carbon copy of my first draft in InDesign. I tried a colour change in the background to signify it's relation with the selected word, but it just didn't look right. It think people could figure it out with the arrow beside the word, and the fade effect when you clicked on the word.

In IE8, the website looks very close, which is a surprise because I never looked at it in IE till today. I remember the nightmares of making the website look the same across browsers. The only differences are the rounded corners being gone (which looks good either way) and the font has some really bay aliasing effect. Other than that, it functions exactly like Chrome.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Since Heroku has a free plan, I uploaded what I got done.
    http://francophy.herokuapp.com/dictionary

Words that work (English):
    Actor
    Actress

Words that work (French):
    Acteur
    Actrice

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Bad link?

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Sorry about that. I changed the url to something that is not random. When I updated the link in this post, I did not realise it only changed the text of the link and not the link itself.

Remove Ads