Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    I'm working on a website that I would to SEO. I have never done this before, but from my research, I have learned that the (h1,h2,h3...) tags are very important for page rankings.

On this page, I plan on using the h1 tag for the main headings, the h2 tag for sub headings, and the h3 tag for special keywords throughout the website.

Is this the proper method to use these tags for SEO purposes?

Also, while researching, I noticed that many websites suggested NOT using the (h4, h5, and h6) tags. Is this correct?

If you have any extra SEO tips, please post them.
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    h1, h2, h3 tags based on importance of content. The "H" tags are intended for headings, so only use them as headings, embedding heading tags within content " yes with CSS you can disguise the behavior of a heading tag", but I would not suggest it.

li "list" tags also define importance of phrases within content, but again, they have an intended purpose.

Create unique page titles and try to incorporate a keyword or keyword phrase in the title.

Use meta keyword tags for the most important keywords and keyword phrases for the page first, then for the site overall, but don't overload them. " keyword stuffing ".

Use meta description tags to creat a unique description of the page, try to incorporate keywords or keyword phrases , but don't copy the page title.

Create a summary of the page, make that your first paragraph of the page a summary of what is on the page, then use the h2 and h3 tags as headings for paragraphs below to draw attention to the content that you have summarized above.

The summary is important for 2 reasons.

1. Search engines give higher importance to the first part of the content.
    2. Because people tend to "skim" content on web pages, if you create a compelling summary, they are more likely to keep reading " draw them in "

If you have a product or service, you should always put a "call to action" somewhere in the middle and at the end of the content. Not just the end. If you are just providing content with the intention of building an audience, you should have a "sign up list" and use that as a call to action.

These are not just my opinion, but have been preaches as "best practices", in writing for the web at classes and seminars for a long time.

And they always tend to work if you have decent content.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Sorry about some of the grammar, damn iPhone is acting stupid and I can only edit like the first couple of paragraphs.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Create a summary of the page, make that your first paragraph of the page a summary of what is on the page, then use the h2 and h3 tags as headings for paragraphs below to draw attention to the content that you have summarized above.
    There is a small issue with creating an opening paragraph. I don't see an appropriate area for the paragraph.

Here is the design: http://www.my-testing-area2.netau.ne...g/template.png
    (I'm redesigning the main pages of the current website so it isn't finished yet)
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    By the way, this website is for my school district. I'm working with a group to create an online help desk for all of the teachers. So I already have a decent sized audience, but the goal is to expand the project.

Remove Ads