Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all!

Well.. When I was 20 years old (10 years ago) I was in college studying a business career, but at that time I spend a lot of time learning PHP4 and HTML4, because I always wanted o have a website, and actually I had one, was called floodboy.net and I had a freeware shoutbox called floodbox, it wasn't the best piece of PHP code but, it was very well accepted by webdesigners at that time , then I had to quit web design, to focus on my career and that's it!

Right now I've a great opportunity to study a second career, and I really want to get again into web development, last week I took my PHP4 books and it was really easy and fast for me to remember a lot a lot of things, but, right now, since I've been away for so many years of this environment, I'm kind of lost... And I don't know where to start, things have changed so much in 10 years...I want to ask you...

Is PHP4 still in the game ? Or should I move to PHP5? and the same for HTML, should I learn HTML5 ? Or right now HTML4 it's ok ?

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Well, I guess i should first say that I don't understand the whole "Quit" thing... from your post, it's as though you no longer used computers and had nothing to do with web design at all... again, I don't understand, but that's just me. I started working with HTML before there was a version definition and have never just not had anything to do with it.

I'm no PHP expert, but PHP4 should run on servers running the newer versions, so you could use what you know and build on that to learn the newer stuff in PHP5.

As for HTML5, until browser support is better, I won't put HTML 5 on a clients site. The sites I create or manage for clients need to be as accessible as possible... many if not, all are also being accessed by mobile devices. HTML5 on mobile browsers is pretty much non-existent, so it would not be in their interest.

but I do have a testing reference site that I use for building out and testing some of the stuff in HTML5 because it is coming.. just a matter of time.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 227161
    As for HTML5, until browser support is better, I won't put HTML 5 on a clients site. The sites I create or manage for clients need to be as accessible as possible... many if not, all are also being accessed by mobile devices. HTML5 on mobile browsers is pretty much non-existent, so it would not be in their interest..
    I won't argue on the first point, as I see the logic behind it, but I'm not sure where you're getting the bit about mobile. All of the major smartphone browsers have supported HTML5 for a couple years now. Now, if you're talking about non-smartphone, you may have a point.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Smartphones that do support html5 are only about 20% of the mobile market.

Of the others that are left, even JavaScript support is flaky.

Last report I got on mobile browsers said none are 100% html5 compatible. Yes they support most of the basic stuff, but they all have their flaws.

Remove Ads