Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: VPS

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I have a project idea, But i kinda need help to see if it is even possible. I want to get a VPS to be able to run some programs for me. Then use a GUI to control it.

But is it possible to access and control the VPS on a website? So if i have a client then can log in on the website then access there vps program so they dont have to download anything to run the program on the vps?

if anyone can help me out, I will really appreciate it.
    "ON TIME, ON TARGET, NEVER QUIT"

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    All depends on the programs and the level of OS interaction you're talking about.

Ib done this with some programming of reports, etc. That needed certain levels of access not normally available in a shared environment, but I created some classes that actually can be accessed from a protected web page.

If you're wanting to give them some remote access to the actual vps ? I'm not sure how... But if you're using citrix to access he vps, yes they have a web based client, but it would still require a one time client download and install.

It all depends on what you're using and what you want them to access.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Are you thinking of a PHP script?
    And, as mentioned before, what is the client running, or accessing?

Typically, AJAX .. a combination of PHP/Javascripting (maybe JQuery and MySQL),
    all work together to create an interactive UI. And HTML5 is going to really put
    things together.

I think we need more information about your project.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I want to be able to use a VPS as a computer to store extra data. Then have it instead of having to download a VNC viewer to access the VPS you can use the VNC Viewer that is on the website. so a web based VNC. I think i can be able to do this with java?

I want to use a windows based vps then be able to run (a application on the vps) on the website, instead of a person having to download all the programs to access the vps them selfs.

edit: I want to be able to use the vnc viewer to run a application that is installed on the VPS. like a bot for a game.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Using VNC you have no control of what the user can and can't do on the machine.

If it's jar something like turning on and off a bot, that can be done with asp, just setup a web service, protect the pages with a user account, give that same account the privileges to turn on and off the app.

There are tutorials on how to execute command line utilities on classicasp.com

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    To clarify, vnc only has 1 admin account associated with it, I guess you could setup a user account with the appropriate privileges, have them access the server with the vnc account, then login with their user account.

I'm just wary of giving anyone access to resources they don't understand the impact of.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I agree with you, Im not sure how the VPS is going to work with the bot and how users will use it just yet.

So for this to work i will need asp? What if i wanted a gui? so the person can turn the bot on and also and like "goals" to the bot app?

I dont want them to be able to do anything on the server, I only want them to be able to use the app that is ran on the vnc. nothing else

edit: To view the vps i need a vnc view that would allow me to run the app? IF so cant i use a web based vnc, and using java run it on a website?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I forget what version ov vnc has a java web client, sure it can be tied in... Just run he client in an iFrame.

If the program you want them to have access to can be run from the comman line "DOS", then you can write a simple ON/Off , output to screen GUI in ASP.

not familiar with any BOTS so just bot sure about that... But if you use vnc, they have a lot more access to sever functions than just running that one program.

If you're using windows server 2003 or better, RDP " remote desktop protocol" can be run as a web client, and using local policies, you can restrict users to their access.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks, That should help me out a lot. Im going to look into the IFrame and RDP. and see what i come up with.

I tried to run vnc on a test website of mine but java wont work for some reason just yet.

Remove Ads