Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    As someone new to the business of web design (am retired), there are occasional, logistical items that come up and am not sure how to handle. I hope this is the appropriate forum for this type of thing.

If I design a site for a customer (I use DW CS5), is that code typically handed over to the customer, once the bill has been paid? Sure, for a small fee, I will continue to do edits to the content. And for a larger fee, do edits to the layout. But if I am no longer interested in doing maintenance, for whatever reason, I can just hand over a current copy of the code, on a disc to customer. Right? And if customer hires someone else for maintenance to the site, that person is not tied to DW, but can modify code anyway he/she see fit?? Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You're going to find a rather different approach now days ... the sites are installed, configured,
    and customized ... the clients change content themselves dynamically. This is typical with
    WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, or any other type of dynamic CMS (content management system).
    Static sites done with DW are pretty much obsolete. I suppose people can use the text editor
    portion of DW ... but unless you have your own server at home, all scripting has to be done
    online with a shared webhost.

The upcoming HTML5/CSS3 and especially sites/systems for mobile and hand-held devices
    will pretty much make a lot of web design of no use. It's all about online information now.
    Exchange of information, display, searching, and social aspects. I've never used DW by the
    way. All coding and PHP/MySQL, Perl, AJAX, JQuery ... done by hand. Because I don't have
    my own server.

Member #
    Miseim, thanks for the response, though not sure I understood it all. Are you saying that this is probably not a good business to engage in? I know that I am well beyond the curve here, never to get wealthy from it - at least not in the design/develop a website (Dreamweaver) sense. Just looking to augment my income during retirement.

Your opinion? - Which way are things heading, if a web designer's services (as they exist today) are becoming obsolete? Certainly HTML5/CSS3 will be the basis for a 'new wave' of web design. Yes? And too, I would expect that Adobe will come out with a new version of DW, which will provide HTML5/CSS3 as its generated output. Granted, all coding must be adapted to the exploding hand-held/mobile device marketplace. So where would you see a startup niche-player like me, be better suited?

I currently utilize a CMS called Savvy to maintain a School District's site, here in MA. Thanks again for shedding light on this for me. -Sully

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    if you have clients that are happy to take the code and manage/maintain themselves or hire someone else to do edits, then handing them the complete code for the site is a common practice.

No, they won't be tied to DW... All HTML can be modified and edited with pretty much any text based editor, so no worries there.

Personally, I don't think that the services you are providing are going to be obsolete any time soon, I have several clients that I provide these services to and they have no desire to use a CMS or anything that requires them to take part in the web site.

One thing you should also consider to add to your services is training, I have several clients that I provided the working code to, and trained one of their employees to make the updates... as long as you comment out our code sufficiently, and making sure they understand your comments, they should be able to edit the content rather easily.

If the CMS you currently use for the school district is solid, and can be templated, you're already on the way to providing even more services than you realize. If not, wordpress is a pretty simple CMS that is easily modified and templated to give the site a solid foundation, and then the potential of the client messing up the layout, while editing the content is pretty slim.

Member #
    Thanks Webzarus, helpful information here. -Sully

Remove Ads