Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Starting out

Member #
    Hi guys, Newb here. For a long time now I have been drifting in and out of various mundane jobs, but I have been recently keen on getting into webdesign. I'm not sure however where to start, I have experience using Phtoshop and have a very limited knowldegde of html and some css. I'd like to know what the best programs to use would be and basically where the best place to start would be, any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    It's not just about HTML and CSS anymore. It's about "development" using server-side
    scripting like PHP or ASP.net. Then you have databases like MySQL. And then client-side
    programming like JQuery, AJAX ... (which are javascripting). Now, you throw HTML5/CSS3
    into the mix and things really start to get interesting.

You'll begin seeing a change in what "web pages" are defined as. The importance will be
    switching from the actual design to how it operates in the background. A lot of information
    exchange without web pages at all? Lots of online apps, lots of native apps ... a lot of just
    giving people information about phone numbers, addresses, locations and exchange of
    content without any web pages in many cases.

We started out with huge servers and everyone had basic "terminals" to view and manipulate
    information. We went to powerful PC's and lots of native software ... Microsoft Office, etc.
    Now, it's going "full circle". We're going to the "cloud", which is where we were when we
    started ... we all now have basic "hand-held terminals", and connect to huge servers to view and
    manipulate information. Maybe the newest cell phones will have rotary dials?
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    To start out, visit w3schools.com , they have lots of tutorials on the basics and will also show you more about what mislem was talking about.

Great site for beginners, intermediate and even experts.

As for software, until you are sure about your direction, id suggest using free software like notepad++, komposer or the like... It will allow you to work on most stuff. Notepad on your pc will work as well, but notepad++ has some nice features that help speed the coding process.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I always hated w3schools for bad practices, and numerous amount of errors. HTMLdog got me started, and I still use it to this day as a resource. Besides, it's a hell lot cleaner. As for learning PHP, ASP.net, MySQL or any other server stuff, there isn't really a good free resource I could point to. I've been using Lynda.com because it comes free with my college tuition.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    w3schools may not be the place to learn best practice, but they make for a solid foundation, and break things down in a way that's easy to digest and replicate.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thanks guys, I'll check all this out.

Remove Ads