Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Depends where you live. I got 2 job offers within a week when I started looking. Both awesome offers. I had to move to Boston though. In Miami, I couldn't find anything worthwhile.

Member #
    I live near Toronto, Canada. Coo man, why nothing in Miami..?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Keep in mind his definition of worthwhile is different than yours. He's owned his own company for a while and headed up major projects for some very high profile clients. He's not looking for minimum wage or anything.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    That's not really accurate, Wired. There was nothing worthwhile in Miami because there's nothing going on in Miami in the Tech Industry. Although there are people hiring, they're all BS marketing and e-Commerce companies. Miami is a BS city.

The real tech startups are all concentrated in California, New York, and Boston. In Boston, there's a real shortage of good developers, and companies are paying top-dollar for all skill levels. Of course, it's an expensive city to live in, so it's almost a wash.

Still, the world is currently experiencing a huge tech boom. Programmers are in high demand everywhere. Job assurance in this industry is higher than almost any other.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Also depends on the definition of "sufficient", I've had people come to me with 3 years HTML,CSS, Javascript experience on the resume, but couldn't code a simple page by hand and knew nothing about standards ( something that I absolutely require )... and if you don't have a visible resume of work that I can look over prior to the interview, you won't get an interview unless I'm looking to place an intern ( which rarely pays much ).

And YES, location means everything when it comes to real money, I'm constantly getting really good offers from NY, Boston, LA, Atlanta, VA Beach... but have no desire to work for anyone let alone move to any of those locations. Granted I make more in Network Security than I could ever make in web design, but the consulting end is really attractive right now.

Remove Ads