Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have some (very) basic web design knowledge and have aspirations of setting up a social media web site for music where other aspiring artists can create their own profiles, share music and link up with other artists in the area. Of course I realize that I'm sure there is some very advanced programming that goes into the process of setting up a web site in which others can actually create their own profiles on your page, log in and access it and share files on it. I don't even know where to begin to look at learning such a thing, and depending on how I progressed would even consider outsourcing. So that I can attempt to learn how to set up this site, what type of programming/design am I looking for(like, what do I even call it?) and where could I go about beginning to learn how to do so?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    You'll need some sort of server-side scripting with database access. There are a number of options to choose from. Mysql is the most common database. As far as server-side scripts go, there's PHP, ASP/ASP.net, Ruby on Rails, etc. Take your pick.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    W3schools.com is a starting point for pretty much everything.

If you want to get this up and running in a shorter time frame, consider looking at mediawiki, or some other pre-made scripts. Hotscripts.com has tons of resources.

If this is truly a learning experience, you may want to still download some of this scripts to see how the portions are done. Just don't use someone else's script and call it yours.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I won't try to dash your dreams, because learning PHP/MySQL is a good thing to do.
    I'm just thinking the project you're trying to do will be too advanced for a beginner.
    Pick an easier project to make, in order to learn PHP and MySQL.

Member #
    I understand and appreciate the feedback. I certainly don't underestimate the difficulty of learning how to perform such a task and realize it could take years. That's why I'm thinking of hiring help if I end up really trying to move forward with my idea. But I would like to at least take steps to TRY and understand it, enough so that perhaps down the road even if I hire someone to do the bulk of the work, I could at the very least manage it.

To clarify, the type of programming I would have to learn about is Database? And PHP/MySQL are examples of such? That's what I wasn't sure of, otherwise I would have already begun consulting sources such was W3Schools.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    MySql is the most used DB for this sort of thing ( most available ), and you'll find the most resources for learning how to setup and manage.

As for scripting language, php if you're plannng on running on an apache server ( again, you'll find apache and php the most available ), but there is asp.net scripting language on windows based servers. Typically, that's used by people that have worked with asp or windows based servers for years. Yes it's still availableand will be around a long time, but there's little information and resources compared to php and apache.

JavaScript, jQuery and Ajax are used on both platforms. Many hosting providers have programs such as mediawiki setup as one click installs from thief control panels.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    When I first started out, I used video tutorials from lynda.com which I've found absolutely invaluable. They explain everything very clearly and are easy to follow step by step. You can go back and re-watch anything you're not sure of and try it out as you go along.

The tutorials do cost a small amount but you can subscribe on a monthly basis and unsubscribe at any time. I know many of you here may be against having to pay for this sort of thing when there's so much that is free but I think they're well worth using and have helped me immensely.

Their tutorials explain what a database is and how it works, how to use MySQL, PHP, jQuery and all the other applications mentioned.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I would agree with Pink Spider. It's $25 per month, but you will save hundreds, and maybe thousands compare to buying books. I wouldn't go for the premium service because I never use the exercise files.

I support this kind of knowledge to be freely available. You will be able to find good free websites for HTML and CSS (such as HTMLDog.com). However, anything beyond that is hard to find decent tutorials. To this day, I am trying to find C++ tutorials at Lynda.com quality.

Remove Ads