Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi friends and experts ,
    I wanna know how to actually create a PHP based video upload system ? I know that it's not so easy , but I need to know about it .
    ( Note : Please do not post any answers like : The file size of videos would be very huge etc . Because I am under a VPS plan and have enough disk space )
    The reason for this post is that I want my members upload their videos on my website . So, please reply as fast as possible please .
    ( I am sorry if this post has already being posted )

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kottapallih, post: 228078
    Hi friends and experts ,
    I wanna know how to actually create a PHP based video upload system ? I know that it's not so easy , but I need to know about it .
    ( Note : Please do not post any answers like : The file size of videos would be very huge etc . Because I am under a VPS plan and have enough disk space )
    The reason for this post is that I want my members upload their videos on my website . So, please reply as fast as possible please .
    ( I am sorry if this post has already being posted )
    I've moved the thread here, as it did not belong in Articles and Tutorials.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I don't know too much about the subject, but it cannot be done in php alone. You will have to install something like x264 on the server itself. This is how I imagine it to work:

1. Save the file that the user uploaded onto some kind of storage that it accessible for your server (SQL database might be possible, but I don't think it's the recommended route)
    2. Set up a queue stack for your encoder
    3. Send a commend to x264(or whatever command line program you are using), look at what's the next film in the queue, and point to the user file.
    4. Send the output to the final location.
    5. Embed a video player into the page, pointing to the outputted file.

Remember, I never even looked into this, but this is how I imagine it working.

EDIT: A better solution would be to use the youtube API. No need for storing, converting or heavy bandwidth. You could still customize the play, and I believe you could even have user upload videos through the interface of your website.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    It can be done with php, if you don't care about the file type ( there are a bunch of different video formats ), and you'll need a mysql db to hold the other variables such a file name, etc.

Yes, you could upload them into the db as a binary, but from past experienc, 4-5 people viewing them coming out of the db does affect performance.

The only reason to use an encoder ( if you can install one in your host ), would be to convert all the uploads to the same output format ( which is not a bad idea ), but not necessary.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 228121
    It can be done with php, if you don't care about the file type ( there are a bunch of different video formats ), and you'll need a mysql db to hold the other variables such a file name, etc.

Yes, you could upload them into the db as a binary, but from past experienc, 4-5 people viewing them coming out of the db does affect performance.

The only reason to use an encoder ( if you can install one in your host ), would be to convert all the uploads to the same output format ( which is not a bad idea ), but not necessary.
    Hi Webzarus ,
    I am a newbie to PHP but have a bit of knowledge on PHP , HTML , JAVA , MYSQL and CSS . So , could you give me a tutorial on how to create a video upload system ? I need to know about this as soon as possible .

Using this upload system , my users can upload any type of file format . But the file should be displayed on the server as fast as possible . Like You tube does . The user uploads the file and go to the URL provided and the video will be present there . And even if we search for that file , the file gets listed in the search box . So please tell me how to do this type of upload system .
    kottapallih .

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 228121

Hi Webzarus ,
    I am a newbie to PHP but have a bit of knowledge on PHP , HTML , JAVA , MYSQL and CSS . So , could you give me a tutorial on how to create a video upload system ? I need to know about this as soon as possible .

Using this upload system , my users can upload any type of file format . But the file should be displayed on the server as fast as possible . Like You tube does . The user uploads the file and go to the URL provided and the video will be present there . And even if we search for that file , the file gets listed in the search box . So please tell me how to do this type of upload system .
    kottapallih

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Everything is going to depend on your hosting environment and the video encoding system you choose to go with. Not aware of free option, but I haven't been looking.

Most of the sites that do this, and do it well have spent a lot of money developing in-house systems for video conversion.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 228187
    Everything is going to depend on your hosting environment and the video encoding system you choose to go with. Not aware of free option, but I haven't been looking.

Most of the sites that do this, and do it well have spent a lot of money developing in-house systems for video conversion.
    Hi Webzarus ,
    Basically I am on a VPS plan 80 gb disk space . I wanted to know how to do a video upload system like youtube because I want my users to upload their short films on the server. No format matters for me .
    The file format can be anything . I just want my users to upload their short films .
    Please give me a tutorial on how to create one . I have MYSQl and all the required things .
    Please tell me .
    kottapallih

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Still haven't answered the question, and you keep going back and forth between " any format", and want them all the same.

Yes, YouTube allows uploads of any format, but their output to viewers is of 2 formats, depending on the visitors browser.

You will need an encoding system to convert them, you will need to get that and have it installed on your hosting account before you can do anything else.

No sense in even talking about it, until you have this piece in place.

You say VPS, well, I know of about 2 dozen kinds of vps and some are easier to work with than others. And depending on your hosting agreement, you may no even be able to install the above mentioned encoder on your current vps.

Again, until you have that part in place, no need to speak of this again.

Member #
    Webzarus , what encoder are you talking about ? There are some hundred's of encoders . I have a doubt . How can I convert the videos of my users using an encoder ?

And coming to the hosting thing . I am using a Virtual Private Server where my hosting company is " Inmotion hosting " . I will ask them can I upload the encoder onto the server ?

Please tell me how can I create a upload system . I am in need of it .

kottapallih [Edit: link removed. AlphaMare.]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads