Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey, everyone. First of all, I'm very new at web design. I'm just proud that I've made it this far without having a mental breakdown. Anyway, here goes...

I have built a site for our photography business and the url is www.LenzPhotography.net. I was recently informed by a few people that they couldn't access the site; only a blank page. I knew these people were using Internet Explorer, so I opened up DreamWeaver Cs 5.5 and viewed my site in Internet Explorer and sure enough I got the same problem. The site works fine in Safari on Mac, as well as Google Chrome on PC. At first when I went to my site, only the black background was showing and IE8 was displaying compatibility mode. Then, after trying to google my problem I pasted <?xml version="1.0" ?> at the beginning of the document which now displays the contents of the page at first, but IE8 pops up the box saying its disabled Active x bla bla... then if I click Allow it goes right back to nothing but the black background and doesn't show the contents anymore. I'm pretty sure the problem is something with the slideshow of images I have embedded on the main page, but I don't know how to make it compatible for IE since it works fine on all other browsers. Also, I am using this page as a landing page with my portfolio scrolling across the screen with a click to enter button to enter the bulk of the site. In IE, if I type in www.LenzPhotography.net/index2 the rest of the page works perfectly. It's only the opening page.

I'm sorry I'm a newb at this like I said. The problem could've been posted and solved somewhere else in the forum, but I have no idea where to even begin searching for it. Thanks for any help in advanced.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I would approach this in a manner like this ...

Save your current index.php page somewhere safe.
    Make "index.php" a copy of the page that works.
    Begin adding in the slideshow part, by comparing it with the old index.php.
    See what point the page crashes.
    I see it's a javascript error, but I can't determine which part is failing.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    1. Define a valid doc type

IE 8 acts weird without a real doc type.

2. I saw from my new app on my iPhone, a flashvar in the code, if you're using flash, ie8 again doesn't like that way of embedding flash. Security issues pretty much stops the browser dead when it sees this code. Although not entirely wrong, it's a vunerability in ie8 so they just stop the browser from opening the exploit.

The easiest way to fix is find a site using flash, and see how they are embedding their flash on their pages.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Or don't use Flash at all.
    It might not be worth it in the long run anyhow (with HTML5 coming).
    Webzarus likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    valid doc type:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr" lang="en-US">

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    take a look at laurenlund.com , she has a very interesting and the proper way to embed flash so it's either visible to your browser or it loads an image for those browsers that can't or won't display flash.

Member #
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I haven't had time to work on it yet, but I will make sure to update when I get it fixed.

Remove Ads