Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    First of, hi everyone!

I did a few searches on this but couldn't find what I needed, some advice were too technical.

So I am trying to set up a website for a friend's resturant and it just needs to be a basic one. I have no web design/programing experience whatsoever so I was just going to use a webhosting site that is pretty much click and drag. The only web designing I have ever done (if you can call it that) was html with my Myspace account years and years ago.

So onto the question: How do I put the menu online? This menus is really long and it isn't a traditional 8x11 sized paper. I don't think I will be able to type all the dishes and I originally was going to scan it in but it looks messy and the menu turned out to be way too small so you had to zoom into each section.

I was thinking about using an OCR program and then make sections which will break up the menu into smaller chunks online so people won't have to zoom in and out to see each section.

What do you think? Any advice will be apprciated! Additionally, I was thinking about hosting with Fatcow, are they a good host? I am only expecting very low web traffic since this restaurant is in a small town.

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    If there isn't an existing digital copy of the menu that you can post, it looks like you have a lot of typing to do. If you're going to post the menu, it'll be worth it in the end to just do it right.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You'll need to type in all in.

How you enter the menu items will be important.
    You should really use a MySQL database, but I'm pretty sure that's out of range for your experience.
    So, you can use notepad to create the database. Each line in the text file is one item.

You start with an ID number (you just make it up), then a menu section, then a title, a description, a price, etc.
    Each item in the line is separated by a pipe | ... pipes are used because they are not commonly
    used for anything else.

The first number is a unique ID (identifying the line), the 2nd number is a section of where
    the item will appear in the menu. in this example, I'm saying section 3 is "breakfast items".

Here's an example:

12|3|Ham Omelet|4 Eggs whipped into an omelet and folded over with ham and your choice of cheese and fixings|3.95|ham_om.jpg

If your menu has 100 items in it, your text file will have 100 lines.

The PHP script will load the entire file and create the online menu however you want using that data.

The owner only has to update that textfile, not the website.
    You can also upload photos of each dish, and specify the filename in the textfile.

Once you have the text file created, let us know, and post it for us to see.

If you want, you can use Google Docs (it's free to get a Google Account), and use the
    Google Docs Spreadsheet to create your database. I mention this because you can "share"
    that spreadsheet with anyone that has a Google Account (like the restaurant owner).
    A PHP script can read that spreadsheet and use it to create the website menu.

Any photos you have ... upload them all into the same directory (call it "photos").
    The database will only need to contain the photo's filename, not the actual photo.

Remove Ads