Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    The basis of my site is that I have a giant QR code on the main page. This QR code is “hollow” and made up of a couple hundred empty spaces. The empty spaces are for people to upload their own QR code, so eventually the main QR code will be made up of smaller individual QR codes. You can have a look for yourself to get a better idea: http://qrposterboard.com
    I need to redesign it because the process of placing individual QR codes is very cumbersome. I used an html image map and mapped out all the coordinates within the QR code. Each coordinate is then linked to an email form where the user submits there QR code. Since I had no way of tracking which square the user clicked on, I had to create a unique email form for each square. I then take this information and have to update the image map.
    It has been suggested by another person to replace the image map and use CSS to place the individual squares?
    The entire process needs to be overhauled. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You didn't post this in the PHP section ....
    But I think the solution will be a PHP/MySQL script ... with AJAX or JQuery.

The database contains the User's name, User's email, User's QR Code URL, the QR Code filename.
    Also, how many clicks, timestamp of the last click, and anything else you need to know.
    You could also save the coordinates of the QR code as it pertains to your map (eg. G5).
    You upload the actual QR Code image into a directory, and the filename is stored in the database.

The PHP/MySQL idea would be automatic. You would use a PHP script to handle a user registering,
    then when they login, they can pick any unused location and upload their QR Code. The PHP script
    for the web page would automatically generate the HTML page using the database ... creating your
    large map of QR codes. You could have several maps if you wanted to. You could even do some
    Google Map thing to let the user's pinpoint their geographic location.

On a side note ...
    For those interested in customizing the center of their QR Code, see this:
    http://hackaday.com/2011/08/11/how-t...-in-a-qr-code/

Member #
    OK here is the kicker - is this possible with wordpess? I orginally built the site by scratch, but then decided to move it to wordpress.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Sure it is ... WordPress was a good choice for you.

You can create any PHP script and "include" it within any of your WP pages.
    You're basically writing your own "plug-in", but it won't be a real WP plug-in.
    Since you already have the MySQL database, you could add a new MySQL table
    just for the management of your map/grid (users, etc). Since WP has the user
    registration part (for making comments), you would use that feature to enable
    a person to upload their QR Code image. You use PHP to resize the QR Code
    image to the exact size you want, regardless of the size they uploaded.

Without PHP/MySQL knowledge, you'll have to hire someone to do the programming.
    This isn't something we can script for you using this forum. It's going to be quite
    a bit of scripting. Once it's in place though, you won't have to touch it very much.

If you want to add a deal where they have to pay for uploading, that adds a whole
    new aspect to it. But again, it could be done with enough time and money.

Member #
    Thanks for the advise mlseim! I don't want to charge for uploading, as the site is just a project of mine. I'm thinking about opening it up as a "community" developed site for possibly some young entrepreneurs to get some experience and see what they develop - just a thought

Member #
    just a note here in case anyone comes across this: i did a quick search and it looks like there are some wordpress contact form plugins as well as plugins to go with those forms that provide a database extention to insert the data into the mysql database.
    now the test will be somehow capturing the cordinates of the QR code that they clicked on?

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I think you're going to need a whole lot more than just a contact form plugin.
    You don't want emails from them ... you want a PHP script to save their QR Code and
    other information into a database table. A contact form plug-in isn't going to do that.

Sure, they will be using a "form" to enter and submit ... but it's not a "contact form".
    Perhaps you can install that plug-in and then customize the plug-in? Regardless, what
    you need is going to be more extensive than a plug-in.

Member #
    There are a few contact forms that come with database extensions that will enter the data the user submits into the wordpress mysql database.
    I'm going to test it right now and will report back
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...n/screenshots/

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I agree that might work ... I've used Contact 7, but not the extension.

You want it to do two things ....
    Save the form fields, and let them upload an image.
    The image is stored in your media section (or in a directory).
    The filename of the image is stored in the database, along with their name (form fields).

You'll have to see if it does it that way.
    I never like storing images "directly in" the database table (BLOB).
    It can be done, but I believe MySQL is not very efficient at handling binary image files.

If you can get information and the image stored, you've gotten it.
    Once that happens, generating the page with your grid/map will be easy.
    That also will require custom PHP ... but it's the easy part.

Member #
    By default it saves the image into the mysql database. I know this isn't recommended so what's the perfered method then? How does the mysql db reference the image?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads