Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I want to have a section of blog updates from my wordpress site update on an external website I have. At first, my idea what to have it in an iframe... but now, I realized I don't want the whole actual site appearing in the iframe. I just want the updates.

I am not too familiar with wordpress/blogs (and still a newcomer when it comes to web design), so I was wondering if anyone here had some advice on how I could execute my idea.

Thanks for any help!

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    That's what the RSS link and the orange RSS symbol on the webpage are all about.
    RSS is a system where your site or wordpress site creates a special XML file that
    contains posts, your latest posts, a particular category, etc.

Anyone can access that RSS feed and use it on their website. The resulting XML
    file has links back to your site (the RSS originator), but it doesn't necessarily have to.
    Most people use their homepage RSS feed widget, or something similar. For non-
    programmers, the RSS widgets, plug-ins, and homepage readers do all of the XML
    stuff automatically (behind the scenes).

Now if you have an external site that is your own, and you can do scripting on that site,
    you can grab the XML file (RSS feed) and do whatever you want with the information.
    You could in fact, query and get data directly from your WP MySQL database if you really
    wanted to. But the RSS feed might be good enough to get what you want.

Google" WordPress RSS feeds" and learn more about it. Then come back and describe
    more about what you need to do with the posts, or whatever you're doing.

I have an example for you...
    Weather Underground offers an RSS feed of the latest weather stats for any city.
    I made a PHP script to read that RSS feed and create my own graphic thing that
    shows temp and current conditions. You can view the actual RSS feed and see the
    PHP scripting I used to create my own webpage "widget":
    http://www.catpin.com/weather

Remove Ads