Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello everyone, I have a couple questions.

Firstly, i'm just starting out in my pursuit of web designing. I'm curious where the best source of information is that will teach me the basics in a logical manner. I want to learn how to do HTML and XHTML, CSS, and/or HTML5.

I'm not sure which is better HTML4 or HTML5

Also, i have plans to launch a website/domain name in a year or so. I am very geared towards learning this on my own time, and between my school schedule.

Any tips or websites/books one might recommend to help me in my journey?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Http://w3schools.com is a good starting point to get ideas.

Lots of tools and explanations of everything, good resource for reference too if your just starting out

Not every browser supports every HTML5 tag, so focus on the basics, once you have a good solid understanding of HTML, then you can start working on advanced stuff.

Trends are pointing most designers in the proper usage of XHTML and CSS, and you can do pretty much everything crossbrowser with that and a dash of JavaScript.

Jquery if you want more advanced interactivity.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Like Webzarus said, start with XHTML and basic CSS and work up from there. After that, work into HTML5. HTML5 accepts XHTML syntax, so the transition will be easy.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Is it rudimentary or inefficient of me to type HTML out myself, or would you guys recommend the usage of Dreamweaver and Microsoft fireworks together?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Starting out, notepad, notepad++ or any free editor.

Once you have learned the basics so you can do it by hand and have decided that this is something you really want to to, the investment in high price software may be worth it, but I never recommend wysiwyg software that cost hundreds of dollars to anyone just starting out.

You may get a couple of weeks into it and decide this really isn't something you want to do anymore.

If you wanna try a wysiwyg editor, komposer is a free one that will give you a basic editor and the ability to bounce back and forth between code and design view with syntax checking and highlighting. As with any wysiwyg editors it has it's limitations and tends to bloat code when running in design view.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Humphries, post: 229412
    Is it rudimentary or inefficient of me to type HTML out myself, or would you guys recommend the usage of Dreamweaver and Microsoft fireworks together?
    HELL no! It's more efficient to type it out by hand than to use tools like Dr*amw*av*r. Your code will be cleaner, which is a standalone argument for hand coding it.

You'll also gain a better grounding of code, which will make it easier for you to solve code problems as time goes by.
    Ronald Roe likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Humphries, post: 229412
    DO NOT start with dreamweaver. A lot of people do that and never actually learn anything because they are satisfied with dreamweaver doing almost everything for them. I know someone who did this... and well hes using it for a year now without doing any real XHTML and CSS. NOT a good way to start in my opinion.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 229472
    HELL no! It's more efficient to type it out by hand than to use tools like Dr*amw*av*r. Your code will be cleaner, which is a standalone argument for hand coding it.

You'll also gain a better grounding of code, which will make it easier for you to solve code problems as time goes by.
    Lol I didn't see ur post. Am I late?
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    I am looking to get into the web designing business. I am passionate about computers and creating a website for my personal dreams and hobbies. I want to make it an informative website where people can go to get help.

Anyways, can someone give me a few links so i can start teaching myself the basics and experimenting with them?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads